Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a decent plank time?

Feedback Score

What is a decent plank time?

Not talking record-setting or even 5 minutes (unless that's what I'm asking about). To say "That guy is in decent shape core-wise".

I've read 90 seconds or 2 minutes. What say the M4C crowd?

I've also read that for core work (where planks are concerned) doing sets of less time is better than max'ing out each time. Will, I'll bet you can field this!
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-29-17 at 19:21.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Since nobody else answered, I will chime in.

I had lower back surgery six months ago. I am up to five seconds or so. Two minutes is fine goal.
    My 40-something wife and mother of two told me last week she did three and a half minutes.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Depends on a LOT. For example, how long are you ?

Seriously, if you're 6'5" then the distance between your toes and elbows is a LOT longer than if you're 5'5", and the stress on your core is a LOT higher.

That's like saying "Aluminum is stronger than steel" because you swing a 0.25" diameter 1 foot long aluminum rod around and it doesn't bend, while you swing a 0.25" diameter steel rod 5 foot long around, and it visibly flexes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm 5'10 and I do about 1 minute 30 seconds decently ..2 times a day
    Going up the ante daily.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Depends on a LOT. For example, how long are you ?

Seriously, if you're 6'5" then the distance between your toes and elbows is a LOT longer than if you're 5'5", and the stress on your core is a LOT higher.

That's like saying "Aluminum is stronger than steel" because you swing a 0.25" diameter 1 foot long aluminum rod around and it doesn't bend, while you swing a 0.25" diameter steel rod 5 foot long around, and it visibly flexes.
    I'm 6'1"
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I've had the best results from keeping a 2:1 work:rest ratio and rotating between left/front/right each set.

I prefer 30 sec work/15 sec rest and will hit each side a total of three times.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    What I'm doing right now: 3 sets of 1 minute each with a 45# plate on my back (*the hinge point between back and hips is where you want the weight). I'm usually supersetting this with weighted pullups or dips too.

Not sure what I'd be able to do unloaded...

I would think that over a minute (unloaded) would be good as a minimum.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 03-30-17 at 07:51.

Feedback Score
    I gave it whirl today and held one for 2 minutes. Don't think I could've made 3 but 2 1/2 I think was possible.

Men's Health had an article that said a fit, healthy male should be able to do 2 minutes. I'll keep working at it in 30-60 second sets and push it max-wise every week or two. My next goal will be 3 minutes.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    What I'm doing right now: 3 sets of 1 minute each with a 45# plate on my back (*the hinge point between back and hips is where you want the weight). I'm usually supersetting this with weighted pullups or dips too.

Not sure what I'd be able to do unloaded...

I would think that over a minute (unloaded) would be good as a minimum.
    Damn, that's pretty good!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Damn. I really need to do more core work. I almost always skip it. I don't think I've ever topped 1:30 but I haven't actually worked on it since high school, 8 or 9 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast