Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 Magnum and Beyond

Feedback Score

44 Magnum and Beyond

So I started out with a few 357 Magnums. I swore I wouldn't go higher. For years he joked saying he would convert me. I refused. Then one day I said I thought I was ready. I saw one at a gun show and almost bought it. My friend sold me his 44 Magnum Performance Center 629 7.5" Hunter with an Aimpoint H1, a Dillon Progressive and reloading supplies (powder, bullets, primer and cases). An offer I couldn't refuse.

I took to it well and realized it wasn't that bad.

Then I wondered what all the hype was for larger revolvers. I traded for a 454 Casull, and realized that recoil was not bad. It was loud, but not unpleasant. It was fun, and I got an adrenaline rush.

So I stepped up to the 500 S&W. Again, not bad in the length I chose, 6.5". Very accurate. Very powerful.

But I felt a gap. I wanted velocity and power, too. I figured I could use something flatter shooting which could also be used for hunting. So I had to get the 460 XVR.

I'm configuring everything with Red Dots. Two have Aimpoints. But I tried a Primary Arms Advanced Microdot, and it's taking the recoil of the Smith 500 like a champ. They're rated for high velocity like 12 gauges and 308. I put 35 rounds through my 500. Super fun. I would have shot more if I had more.

Obviously I will be reloading for these revolvers. I just ordered dies for the 460. I already have the equipment for the 44, Casull and 500.

I found that the recoil of the Smith 640 357 Magnum with full house 357 is about the same as my super magnums. The 357 is my carry gun...along with a Glock 19 MOS /RMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive heard people say that the worst recoil is the 460. What do you think?

I shot a 500 once. Guy next to me at the range had one with about a 8 inch barrel. The recoil was dramatic but not painful. I think I might get one eventually.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Ive heard people say that the worst recoil is the 460. What do you think?

I shot a 500 once. Guy next to me at the range had one with about a 8 inch barrel. The recoil was dramatic but not painful. I think I might get one eventually.
    Recoil depends upon the grain weight. Larger grain weight gives more felt recoil.

All of them have such a wide range of ammunition to choose from. The most I've done is 400 grains, in 500, 300 in 454, and 300 in 460.
    Recoil is definitely higher in the 400.

I need to try a 700 grain 500. Then it will give me an idea of what the 500 is truly about. I have to wait until the next gun show as I never saw it in a store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All these big bore magnums can be a handful. I reload, so .45 Colt fills that role for me as I can push it in a strong revolver like a Ruger Blackhawk to .44 Mag levels, and a little beyond.

Feedback Score
    I had a few Pre Lock .44's, my favorite was a 629-4 5" barrel. Also had a V-Comp. Overall they are fun to shoot at 100 yards on steel gongs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I had a few Pre Lock .44's, my favorite was a 629-4 5" barrel. Also had a V-Comp. Overall they are fun to shoot at 100 yards on steel gongs.
    Great point.

I also shoot at Steel, and one gets an appreciation of the sheer force these hit at a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm happy with my 629-1... but if I ever decided to go bigger, I'd get a .460. Able to shoot .45 Colt or .454 Casull is worth it to me, being I stock one of them already.

I've held off getting a new S&W revolver for some time now (last one was a 642-1 no-lock model), as I've never liked the locks. Been considering a R8 or something else in that realm... just for something different. Don't really want to go .460 or .500, mainly due to costs... nor do I reload currently.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I'm happy with my 629-1... but if I ever decided to go bigger, I'd get a .460. Able to shoot .45 Colt or .454 Casull is worth it to me, being I stock one of them already.

I've held off getting a new S&W revolver for some time now (last one was a 642-1 no-lock model), as I've never liked the locks. Been considering a R8 or something else in that realm... just for something different. Don't really want to go .460 or .500, mainly due to costs... nor do I reload currently.
    I'm pretty content with 44 mag and below myself, but yeah, if I was going to go for one of the super mags it would be the .460 for the reasons you mention, that and I'd be forced to pick up a Katahdin barrel for my Encore in the same caliber.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, recoil does depend on grain weight, but velocity is the other half of the statement. Part of the recoil formula is velocity X grain weight. We can decrease grain weight and increase velocity and still have heavy recoil.

One advantage of .44 Magnum handguns is that medium weight, less bulky models exist, and they are easily reloaded with light loads for practice and any other desired power level for woods carry. That statement does not knock the more powerful offerings, but you're not likely carry one any great distance if you're walking. You won't fire them much with full house loads without developing a hard to lose flinch. Also I suggest appropriate gloves to reduce likelihood of nerve damage. Have fun.

Feedback Score
    I handgun hunt, and have killed stuff with revolvers ranging from ground squirrels to elk with the .44 Magnum. There is nothing that it will not kill efficiently when a proper load is selected. When people ask, I tell them that I see no reason to go beyond the 44 magnum/45 Colt for a practical packable revolver.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast