Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 Magnum and Beyond

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

44 Magnum and Beyond

So I started out with a few 357 Magnums. I swore I wouldn't go higher. For years he joked saying he would convert me. I refused. Then one day I said I thought I was ready. I saw one at a gun show and almost bought it. My friend sold me his 44 Magnum Performance Center 629 7.5" Hunter with an Aimpoint H1, a Dillon Progressive and reloading supplies (powder, bullets, primer and cases). An offer I couldn't refuse.

I took to it well and realized it wasn't that bad.

Then I wondered what all the hype was for larger revolvers. I traded for a 454 Casull, and realized that recoil was not bad. It was loud, but not unpleasant. It was fun, and I got an adrenaline rush.

So I stepped up to the 500 S&W. Again, not bad in the length I chose, 6.5". Very accurate. Very powerful.

But I felt a gap. I wanted velocity and power, too. I figured I could use something flatter shooting which could also be used for hunting. So I had to get the 460 XVR.

I'm configuring everything with Red Dots. Two have Aimpoints. But I tried a Primary Arms Advanced Microdot, and it's taking the recoil of the Smith 500 like a champ. They're rated for high velocity like 12 gauges and 308. I put 35 rounds through my 500. Super fun. I would have shot more if I had more.

Obviously I will be reloading for these revolvers. I just ordered dies for the 460. I already have the equipment for the 44, Casull and 500.

I found that the recoil of the Smith 640 357 Magnum with full house 357 is about the same as my super magnums. The 357 is my carry gun...along with a Glock 19 MOS /RMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive heard people say that the worst recoil is the 460. What do you think?

I shot a 500 once. Guy next to me at the range had one with about a 8 inch barrel. The recoil was dramatic but not painful. I think I might get one eventually.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post

I shot a 500 once. Guy next to me at the range had one with about a 8 inch barrel. The recoil was dramatic but not painful. I think I might get one eventually.
    Recoil depends upon the grain weight. Larger grain weight gives more felt recoil.

All of them have such a wide range of ammunition to choose from. The most I've done is 400 grains, in 500, 300 in 454, and 300 in 460.
    Recoil is definitely higher in the 400.

I need to try a 700 grain 500. Then it will give me an idea of what the 500 is truly about. I have to wait until the next gun show as I never saw it in a store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All these big bore magnums can be a handful. I reload, so .45 Colt fills that role for me as I can push it in a strong revolver like a Ruger Blackhawk to .44 Mag levels, and a little beyond.

Feedback Score
    I had a few Pre Lock .44's, my favorite was a 629-4 5" barrel. Also had a V-Comp. Overall they are fun to shoot at 100 yards on steel gongs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I had a few Pre Lock .44's, my favorite was a 629-4 5" barrel. Also had a V-Comp. Overall they are fun to shoot at 100 yards on steel gongs.
    Great point.

I also shoot at Steel, and one gets an appreciation of the sheer force these hit at a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I just bought a 629-4 Mountain online, can't wait to pick it up this week. Supposedly the -4 was one of the better 629 iterations, what made it your favorite?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

44 Magnum and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post

The .460 is the ONLY firearm I have ever shot that I did not enjoy shooting.

I put a cylinder of full house ,460 loads down range and my teeth literally hurt for a week.

I never thought I would say this about a firearm, but NO THANKS.

Bear in mind, I can shoot 3.5" goose loads all day long and not think twice. .44 Mag is quite enjoyable to shoot, even my 300+ grain solid lead loads with lots of 2400 under them.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 07-06-17 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    The SW 460 is very popular here (Montana) where you stand a good chance of interviewing with a Grizz...especially bow hunting.
    I agree with you, the SW 629 will work as well and is what I choose.
    I can actually hit a barn with it, even if the 'barn' is moving - with eagerness.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bought my first .44 Magnum, a flattop OM Ruger, in 1969 or so. Shot it off and on but not all that much. Same re a M29 4". About 20 years ago I got to fooling around with a NM Ruger Convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP 4 5/8" which for some reason I shoot well, and for its caliber is very light and handy. I figure I can brew up some stout loads for it if I need them.

Meanwhile I have a few hundred Elmer Keith-style .44 loads from about 25 years ago sitting around now. Maybe I can palm them off on my son if he moves up there. But he'll have to have a spare room and cold beer for me.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast