Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 44 Magnum and Beyond

Feedback Score
    I have only one big bore revolver: Freedom Arms M83 Premier Grade in .454 Casull, 6" barrel. Big enough to get some performance out of the round but still compact enough to be a holster gun with a good belt.

I did have FA perform an action job, install a set screw for over travel, and fit a spare cylinder in .45 ACP. The .45 ACP cylinder is fun to shoot, and despite the long cylinder throats is very accurate; 1" groups or less at 25yds off the bench are possible with some loads with the .45 ACP cylinder. The .454 cylinder is a bit more precise than that when I can do my part. Seems to favor 300-335gr bullets, 360gr pills open up a bit but are still usefully accurate though.

Feedback Score
    You can always try the 475 or 500 Linebaugh, if you find the 460 lacking, and if they don't fill the bill, then a move to the 500 Linebaugh Maximum should do it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

44 Magnum and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Ive heard people say that the worst recoil is the 460. What do you think?

I shot a 500 once. Guy next to me at the range had one with about a 8 inch barrel. The recoil was dramatic but not painful. I think I might get one eventually.
    The .460 is the ONLY firearm I have ever shot that I did not enjoy shooting.

I put a cylinder of full house ,460 loads down range and my teeth literally hurt for a week.

I never thought I would say this about a firearm, but NO THANKS.

Bear in mind, I can shoot 3.5" goose loads all day long and not think twice. .44 Mag is quite enjoyable to shoot, even my 300+ grain solid lead loads with lots of 2400 under them.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 07-06-17 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    The SW 460 is very popular here (Montana) where you stand a good chance of interviewing with a Grizz...especially bow hunting.
    I agree with you, the SW 629 will work as well and is what I choose.
    I can actually hit a barn with it, even if the 'barn' is moving - with eagerness.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bought my first .44 Magnum, a flattop OM Ruger, in 1969 or so. Shot it off and on but not all that much. Same re a M29 4". About 20 years ago I got to fooling around with a NM Ruger Convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP 4 5/8" which for some reason I shoot well, and for its caliber is very light and handy. I figure I can brew up some stout loads for it if I need them.

Meanwhile I have a few hundred Elmer Keith-style .44 loads from about 25 years ago sitting around now. Maybe I can palm them off on my son if he moves up there. But he'll have to have a spare room and cold beer for me.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    ....... About 20 years ago I got to fooling around with a NM Ruger Convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP 4 5/8" which for some reason I shoot well, and for its caliber is very light and handy. I figure I can brew up some stout loads for it if I need them.

I have always wanted one of those convertible Ruger's. Everyone I have talked to has loved them.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/408.htm

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I'm happy with my 629-1... but if I ever decided to go bigger, I'd get a .460. Able to shoot .45 Colt or .454 Casull is worth it to me, being I stock one of them already.

I've held off getting a new S&W revolver for some time now (last one was a 642-1 no-lock model), as I've never liked the locks. Been considering a R8 or something else in that realm... just for something different. Don't really want to go .460 or .500, mainly due to costs... nor do I reload currently.

Same here. I have a 629-1 44 Mag. I carry it every time I am in Bear Country here in Montana. I have it loaded with the HSM Bear Load 305 grain hard cast. A friend of mine has a 460, and yes the ammunition available for it is stellar. I have shot the 460 and with the ports it was not bad, just LOUD. Revolvers offer a nice piece of mind. Very nice guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post

Set them all up now. Now I must work on load development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    NICE!!!

I'm thinking of putting a red dot on my 629 V-comp. What kind of type holsters are you using for hunting??
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123