Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2 or SOCOM556-MINI2

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2 or SOCOM556-MINI2

Alright guys, I'm about to purchase my first suppressor and I'm at stand still between the full size Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2 and the SOCOM 556-MINI2.

I've researched both and understand most of the pro's and con's of each, but still can't seem to make up my mind. With that said I will eventually own both of these suppressors so it's not like it's one or the other, but it'll be a while before I can purchase the next.

A little information on what rifles it will be used between:

14.5" BCM Mid Length w/ pinned MB556 brake (Primary HD rifle).

18" SPR-ish rifle with a Centurion MK12 barrel, MB556 brake, and 2.5-10x32 NF optic (Primarily for shooting steel/hog/coyote at distance).

I also have a few other rifles slowly being built. The most important of those is going to be a 12.5" suppressor host set up for HD (Replacing the current 14.5")

With those rifles being the primary ones used, which would you choose between the two suppressors? I'm not chasing db as much as I just want a setup that works well enough to not blow my ear drums out in the middle of the night and/or blind me, while keeping as compact as possible. Is there really enough difference on 14.5"-18" rifles to notice the difference in sound, flash, first round pop, etc? Will a 12.5" SBR with a MINI2 be too loud and too flashy indoors for HD? (I'd thought about an 11.5" SBR with a full size RC2 instead of the 12.5" and MINI2 but decided the extra velocity of the 12.5" was the better trade off).

Thanks for the help guys.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2 or SOCOM556-MINI2

5.56 will always be loud.

Shooting indoors will always be loud.

For 12.5" and up, get the mini.

While I like my RC, all future 5.56 cans will be minis for me.

Official Kremlin Transmission
    Last edited by scooter22; 03-29-17 at 22:56.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Since you're eventually going to have both and it will also go on the longer guns I would go with the mini first. A full size can will always be quieter than a mini but on a sbr it will still be loud. Especially indoors and without ear pro like in a hd scenario. The trade off is you keep the oal length down.

Feedback Score
    I went with the RC2 because the difference is only 1" in length and 2.5oz in weight and that length and weight is being put where it matters most performance-wise.

I've never understood the whole "5.56 will always be loud. Shooting indoors will always be loud. For 12.5" and up, get the mini." argument. Why not just say "5.56 will always be loud. Shooting indoors will always be loud. Ditch the can and run unsuppressed."? Things would run cleaner and you'd save a ton of weight and length. And why would I want a shorter can on a longer gun? If I'm using a rifle that long then I've already decided that length isn't much of a factor for whatever it is I'm doing.

Anyways, you've already made the decision to add at least an extra 18 oz and 5.2" to the end of your rifle for the sake of signature reduction, why not make it 20.5 oz and 6.2" to get something that will be worth having up there.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Alright guys, I'm about to purchase my first suppressor and I'm at stand still between the full size Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2 and the SOCOM 556-MINI2.

I've researched both and understand most of the pro's and con's of each, but still can't seem to make up my mind. With that said I will eventually own both of these suppressors so it's not like it's one or the other, but it'll be a while before I can purchase the next.

A little information on what rifles it will be used between:

14.5" BCM Mid Length w/ pinned MB556 brake (Primary HD rifle).

18" SPR-ish rifle with a Centurion MK12 barrel, MB556 brake, and 2.5-10x32 NF optic (Primarily for shooting steel/hog/coyote at distance).

I also have a few other rifles slowly being built. The most important of those is going to be a 12.5" suppressor host set up for HD (Replacing the current 14.5")

With those rifles being the primary ones used, which would you choose between the two suppressors? I'm not chasing db as much as I just want a setup that works well enough to not blow my ear drums out in the middle of the night and/or blind me, while keeping as compact as possible. Is there really enough difference on 14.5"-18" rifles to notice the difference in sound, flash, first round pop, etc? Will a 12.5" SBR with a MINI2 be too loud and too flashy indoors for HD? (I'd thought about an 11.5" SBR with a full size RC2 instead of the 12.5" and MINI2 but decided the extra velocity of the 12.5" was the better trade off).

Thanks for the help guys.
    I'm going to answer your question first before I reply to some of the ones below..

I see no need for a full size can in your case, unless, you are planning on running a NVD and it is crucial to eliminate as much flash as possible. Ammo choice can play a role in this also. A 12.5 with a mini can is actually slightly shorter then an 11.5 with an RC. I know because I have many of both. So I am speaking from experience. From someone who has shot suppressed SBRs indoors and from inside vehicles without ear pro on many occasions, your ears will tell you there is absolutely no difference. The space and proximity to walls, etc plays much more of a role in your perceived noise level. Even with Mk18's and different length cans. Even if you went 11.5 and wanted to use a mini, I would say go for it. I have two 11.5s with dedicated Mini suppressors. If you have to get in and out of a vehicle, or do any CQB work, it is a very handy setup. Yes, I also have 11.5s with full size cans, but from all my suppressed shooting and findings, every 5.56 rifle 12.5 and over only sees mini cans. (Unless you are using specific NV setups as mentioned above) If your rolling out of bed in an HD scenario, I assume you would be turning on your WML instead of throwing on some PVS7s or something. So that ever so small gain on first round flash from an RC and your "to be 12.5" is thrown out the window when you turn on your WML.

Both are great cans. And you will like either one. I just think that the Mini is a better choice for you and your needs. If you build a 12.5, shoot me a PM as there is a great combo of port sizing and setup with a Surefire mini can.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-30-17 at 10:17.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    He asked for suggestions and I offered mine based on my experiences of shooting full size and mini cans on sbrs and 16" guns as well as shooting in close quarters and with other ppl.

"5.56 will always be loud. Shooting indoors will always be loud. Ditch the can and run unsuppressed."?

Because suppressors do more than just suppress sound. They suppress blast and flash and on a sbr there is a ton of both and you really feel it indoors.

"And why would I want a shorter can on a longer gun?"
    YOU may not. Thats your decision and its totally cool if you dont want a mini. Same to the OP. I prefer it because I think the weight and length savings hanging off the end of my gun are worth the loss of some db reduction. Others may not and thats why they make both.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post
    I went with the RC2 because the difference is only 1" in length and 2.5oz in weight and that length and weight is being put where it matters most performance-wise.

I've never understood the whole "5.56 will always be loud. Shooting indoors will always be loud. For 12.5" and up, get the mini." argument. Why not just say "5.56 will always be loud. Shooting indoors will always be loud. Ditch the can and run unsuppressed."? Things would run cleaner and you'd save a ton of weight and length. And why would I want a shorter can on a longer gun? If I'm using a rifle that long then I've already decided that length isn't much of a factor for whatever it is I'm doing.

Anyways, you've already made the decision to add at least an extra 18 oz and 5.2" to the end of your rifle for the sake of signature reduction, why not make it 20.5 oz and 6.2" to get something that will be worth having up there.
    It really takes owning one to see the difference and experience it first hand on multiple barrel lengths. Folks are correct when they say 5.56 is always loud. It is. Shooting indoors with anything other then Subs and a suppressor is loud. Because it it. 12.5 and up get a mini is a very valid and hard to argue point. When you see no real measurable performance gain, why add the weight and length? A full size RC will out perform a Mini overall. It does. But the weight and length difference, while it may be small on paper, is real and felt on the rifle. Especially they further out it gets away from you. While we all have our own opinions and are entitled to them, I believe the OP has some good info from both sides and can make a solid choice.

Edit: And to Clarify, I have no opinions based on justification of what "one" I went with, because I own many of both. My opinions are solely based on my shooting and handling experience with both the Mini and Full Size RC the OP is referring to.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-30-17 at 10:22. Reason: to clarify....
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My limited experience

I own a Surefire Socom Mini

I was very hesitant when I ordered it, but I felt like I wanted the shortest and lighter can.

I have actually been blown away by its performance, so far i have only ran it on 14.5 and 16 inch builds but to me I am impressed and wouldn't want the added weight and length of the full size can.

like you i had and sometimes still plan on owning both but the more i shoot the more i want another mini over a full size.

I haven't ran it on anything shorter than 14.5, should have an 11.5 built soon so I can see how it works on it.

but i would vote Mini 1st and wouldnt be surprised if after shooting it you wanted another vs. a full size, unless of course as previously pointed out you are running NV or sub 11.5 uppers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post

There is point where the added length is not worth the small performance increase, and on the contrary, there is a point where slight reduction in length is not worth the performance loss. Sounds like the mini is between those, and the rc is not.

Do you disagree? Where is that point for you?

A 16" with a2 is about the same length as a silenced 12" with mini. But you get a much quieter gun with greatly reduced flash. Thats what you pay for. If high potential hearing damage and communication is not important to you, silencers may not be of interest to you.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-30-17 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    If high potential hearing damage and communication is not important to you, silencers may not be of interest to you.
    They are both very important to me, which is why I run full length cans on all my guns and deal with the extra 2 ounces and 1 inch here or there.

Although I will admit that when I am using my guns without ear pro I'm usually using them as late night critter getters. Maybe that means I can afford the length more? I don't know, I try not to shoot live rounds in my own home very often haha.

Also I don't think I've ever fired any rounds unsuppressed while using NV's. I'll have to try it next time I'm out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast