Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2 or SOCOM556-MINI2

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post
    Maybe it's just me then. It was on the same day, about 50 degrees and raining.

Edit to add that my observations were shared by everyone that was there that day (that I talked to at least). When I spoke to the Surefire rep about it he said that unless he absolutely had to shave every inch/oz off his rifle, he would go with the RC every time.
    I would agree with you and the Surefire Rep that the RC performs better then the mini. Because it does. But what one needs to decide is if the small difference in performance, added weight / length, and ultimately what your realistic uses are for the rifle and can, are more important then the others. When we get into the longer barrel lengths, the performance vs weight and length debate becomes much easier for most to make a decision.

I think if purely sound reduction is top on someone's list, that the Surefire isn't the front runner anyway. All comes back to what are you actually doing with it, and what's on your priority list.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I'm going to answer your question first before I reply to some of the ones below..

I see no need for a full size can in your case, unless, you are planning on running a NVD and it is crucial to eliminate as much flash as possible. Ammo choice can play a role in this also. A 12.5 with a mini can is actually slightly shorter then an 11.5 with an RC. I know because I have many of both. So I am speaking from experience. From someone who has shot suppressed SBRs indoors and from inside vehicles without ear pro on many occasions, your ears will tell you there is absolutely no difference. The space and proximity to walls, etc plays much more of a role in your perceived noise level. Even with Mk18's and different length cans. Even if you went 11.5 and wanted to use a mini, I would say go for it. I have two 11.5s with dedicated Mini suppressors. If you have to get in and out of a vehicle, or do any CQB work, it is a very handy setup. Yes, I also have 11.5s with full size cans, but from all my suppressed shooting and findings, every 5.56 rifle 12.5 and over only sees mini cans. (Unless you are using specific NV setups as mentioned above) If your rolling out of bed in an HD scenario, I assume you would be turning on your WML instead of throwing on some PVS7s or something. So that ever so small gain on first round flash from an RC and your "to be 12.5" is thrown out the window when you turn on your WML.

Both are great cans. And you will like either one. I just think that the Mini is a better choice for you and your needs. If you build a 12.5, shoot me a PM as there is a great combo of port sizing and setup with a Surefire mini can.
    This right here is some great info. Would be a good post in my 12.5" thread!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123