Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2 or SOCOM556-MINI2

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to go ahead and go with the MINI2 based on the recommendations here. I was actually leaning slightly towards the MINI2 but was fully prepared to be swayed the opposite direction toward the full size can, but it looks like the mini will fit my needs for the immediate future. I will say, I do plan on getting into NV eventually (Hopefully sooner than later. It'll more than likely be a helmet mounted Gen 3 PVS14 from TNVC) but by the time I have it I'm positive I'll have a full size can either pending approval or in hand already anyway so that's not a huge concern just yet. I also will most likely not use it for HD until I have significant time behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Both are great cans. And you will like either one. I just think that the Mini is a better choice for you and your needs. If you build a 12.5, shoot me a PM as there is a great combo of port sizing and setup with a Surefire mini can.
    Thanks for the help. PM sent!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think you'll be happy with the Mini. A friend of mine had a Mini on 10.5" upper and a full auto lower. It was a good shooting combo and the Mini handled it well. He put many thousands of rounds through it. It's what inspired me to get an Omega for my 10.5" AR pistol
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post
    They are both very important to me, which is why I run full length cans on all my guns and deal with the extra 2 ounces and 1 inch here or there.

Although I will admit that when I am using my guns without ear pro I'm usually using them as late night critter getters. Maybe that means I can afford the length more? I don't know, I try not to shoot live rounds in my own home very often haha.

Also I don't think I've ever fired any rounds unsuppressed while using NV's. I'll have to try it next time I'm out.
    Have you run a mini vs rc? What was your experience/what was the difference?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Have you run a mini vs rc? What was your experience/what was the difference?
    I haven't run them on the same hosts, but I have run them side by side with the RC1's being on milspec ported MK18's and 416's (10.4" OTB), and the mini1's being on 14.5" carbine lengths. To my ears the 14.5's were much louder than any of the shorties, both as the shooter and as the observer. That is part of what led to my decision that the extra length and weight of the standard cans are worth it to me personally. All of us were shooting the same batch of M855.

Feedback Score
    I haven't run them on the same hosts, but I have run them side by side with the RC1's being on milspec ported MK18's and 416's (10.4" OTB), and the mini1's being on 14.5" carbine lengths. To my ears the 14.5's were much louder than any of the shorties, both as the shooter and as the observer. That is part of what led to my decision that the extra length and weight of the standard cans are worth it to me personally. All of us were shooting the same batch of M855.
    Interesting. Thats the first I've heard that. Everyone else seems(key word)to indicate the opposite.

Was that on the same day?

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I find the 14.5 / mini and 11.5 / RC side by side very comparable. As both the shooter and away from the rifles. With the mini just having a deeper thump tone then the RC. But to the shooter not much distinct difference. If you are away from the rifle on the 3 or 6 when comparing other length barrels with the same suppressor, you will notice more sound variance.

Just my observations.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 04-03-17 at 22:05.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I find the 14.5 / mini and 11.5 / RC side by side very comparable. As both the shooter and away from the rifles. With the mini just having a deeper thump tone then the RC. But to the shooter not much distinct difference. If you are away from the rifle on the 3 or 6 when comparing other length barrels with the same suppressor, you will notice more sound variance.

Just my observations.
    My experience mirrors yours, sound is about the same for 14.5/mini & 11.5/RC.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Thats the first I've heard that. Everyone else seems(key word)to indicate the opposite.

Was that on the same day?
    Maybe it's just me then. It was on the same day, about 50 degrees and raining.

Edit to add that my observations were shared by everyone that was there that day (that I talked to at least). When I spoke to the Surefire rep about it he said that unless he absolutely had to shave every inch/oz off his rifle, he would go with the RC every time.
    Last edited by plinkerr; 04-04-17 at 06:38.

Feedback Score
    Maybe it's just me then. It was on the same day, about 50 degrees and raining.

Edit to add that my observations were shared by everyone that was there that day (that I talked to at least). When I spoke to the Surefire rep about it he said that unless he absolutely had to shave every inch/oz off his rifle, he would go with the RC every time.
    Sure it was a mini, not a micro?
    I may have to try them before I buy.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Sure it was a mini, not a micro?
    I may have to try them before I buy.
    If you are even in CO shoot me a message and I'll let you try out both on different rifles.
    Philippians 4:13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast