Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Any M1 Garand Enthusiasts Here?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba FAL View Post
    I have two. SN106xxxx is like new, got it from DCM back ~1990 for the princely sum of $165. All matching SA parts, really lucked out on that one. Don't shoot it much anymore. My other one was picked up at Camp Perry ~10 years ago. Also a SA, SN 286xxxx still has the original 6-44 barrel.

ARs are cheaper dates, but they lack that air of class and sophistication that surrounds a Garand.
    Couldn't agree more. Nice score on two WWII Springfields. $165 ... could be worth 10X that now.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    If standing is the position that cost you points ( as with most people ) a good, not necessarily expensive air rifle, 10 metre targets and thousands of repetitions sure won't hurt.
    Save the targets, write what you changed from earlier sessions on them and chart your progress. Keep at it long enough you will find what works for you. Close to magic as I can get.
    THIS and lots of using your M1 and getting into a good standing position where you establish your Natural Point of Aim, or NPA. Air rifle and M1 'dry firing' range time really improved my offhand scores, as did learning to shoot a flintlock offhand and follow-through all the way through the shot, but that's another story ...

I'd say that once I had the basics down, besides practice the 2 best tips for me were learning to 'call your shots' (as that is where you are focusing as the trigger breaks) and NOT being afraid to put the gun down on the stool (still in NPA stance) and re-set and start again, if something felt off ... as in 'me', the nut behind the trigger.

Strongly recommend Jim 'Jarhead' Owens books on offhand shooting, called the Sight Alignment and the Big Lie, or something like that - blue cover paperback.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    0186473bbaaa20e8b4bc3799ccb3a944282e37c6ba.jpg

Forget to post a photo of the collection.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When you first start developing your offhand technique, stay the course. I shoot at least 80 rounds of 3006 per week out of a Garand practicing offhand. It takes a while to consistently shoot over 95%, so don't get frustrated . Keep at it and eventually the light bulb will go off. If you search long enough, you can find some good tutorials on shooting offhand. Finding a good coach that will work with you locally can pay big dividends. The egg timer hold, dry fire, and hold technique is invaluable.

I believe that anyone who can shoot offhand well can shoot well from any position.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    THIS and lots of using your M1 and getting into a good standing position where you establish your Natural Point of Aim, or NPA. Air rifle and M1 'dry firing' range time really improved my offhand scores, as did learning to shoot a flintlock offhand and follow-through all the way through the shot, but that's another story ...

I'd say that once I had the basics down, besides practice the 2 best tips for me were learning to 'call your shots' (as that is where you are focusing as the trigger breaks) and NOT being afraid to put the gun down on the stool (still in NPA stance) and re-set and start again, if something felt off ... as in 'me', the nut behind the trigger.

Strongly recommend Jim 'Jarhead' Owens books on offhand shooting, called the Sight Alignment and the Big Lie, or something like that - blue cover paperback.
    I'll check that book out, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlung87 View Post
    0186473bbaaa20e8b4bc3799ccb3a944282e37c6ba.jpg

Forget to post a photo of the collection.
    Great picture! The rifle that helped free the world from tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    When you first start developing your offhand technique, stay the course. I shoot at least 80 rounds of 3006 per week out of a Garand practicing offhand. It takes a while to consistently shoot over 95%, so don't get frustrated . Keep at it and eventually the light bulb will go off. If you search long enough, you can find some good tutorials on shooting offhand. Finding a good coach that will work with you locally can pay big dividends. The egg timer hold, dry fire, and hold technique is invaluable.

I believe that anyone who can shoot offhand well can shoot well from any position.
    I've hooked up with a buddy that shoots a lot of matches, and shoots well. Looking forward to picking pointers from him. What's the "egg timer hold?"
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    If anyone knows someone Garand-Challenged, here's one local to me for sale. WWII Springfield receiver, unknown about the rest of its pedigree / wear measurements. Says $900 but make an offer. Looks like CMP's box. If anyone is really interested, I could arrange to take a look at it after you talk to seller.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/670728...1-garand-30-06

Feedback Score
    Well, did a CMP shooting match yesterday, was a beautiful day filled with 1903's and M1 Garands ... an "as issued" military match. 200 yards, iron sights shooting prone/laying down with an armsling, slow file & fast fire and then standing, no sling.

Shot a 228. I consider at a local match a 250 to be a strong showing. 225 was my number to hit to "earn" getting the gear that's typically used, like a shooting jacket with the traction pads and a proper spotting scope.

And no misses on the standing fire ... yeah! In past matches I'd have a couple typically.

People tell me the jacket will help all around. It can be cinched up tight to help on standing and it has rubber sections that help you stabilize yourself. In laying down same thing, and I def move around to much when doing the single loading and then my natural point of aim goes off.

Still, there's no such thing as a bad day shooting that rifle ... I just love it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I looks like you are in the Greater St. Louis area. Where was the match held?

I believe a shooting jacket helps a great deal in all the shooting positions. A shooting glove is helpful in slung positions. I suggest purchasing a shooting jacket that is large enough to accommodate wearing a sweatshirt underneath the jacket. During the summer months, when time allowed, I soaked my sweatshirt in cold water before donning the jacket to help manage the heat.

While in the prone position, you can cinch the sling tighter above the bicep of your support arm with the jacket. I suggest not trying to cinch as hard without the jacket. I have nerve damage in my left arm as a result of slinging incredibly tight while wearing only a sweatshirt. I also have some damage to the support hand from slinging in tight without the benefit of a glove or bandana. Wearing the proper gear will pay big dividends in the long run. Buy good gear as you can afford it.

When slung in the prone position with the Garand, I find it helpful to push forward with the support hand. Some people like the technique, some do not. My recovery times between shots are shorter when I use the technique. Please post a critique of the technique and tell us why it does or does not work for you if you try it.

Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post

I believe a shooting jacket helps a great deal in all the shooting positions. A shooting glove is helpful in slung positions. I suggest purchasing a shooting jacket that is large enough to accommodate wearing a sweatshirt underneath the jacket. During the summer months, when time allowed, I soaked my sweatshirt in cold water before donning the jacket to help manage the heat.

While in the prone position, you can cinch the sling tighter above the bicep of your support arm with the jacket. I suggest not trying to cinch as hard without the jacket. I have nerve damage in my left arm as a result of slinging incredibly tight while wearing only a sweatshirt. I also have some damage to the support hand from slinging in tight without the benefit of a glove or bandana. Wearing the proper gear will pay big dividends in the long run. Buy good gear as you can afford it.

When slung in the prone position with the Garand, I find it helpful to push forward with the support hand. Some people like the technique, some do not. My recovery times between shots are shorter when I use the technique. Please post a critique of the technique and tell us why it does or does not work for you if you try it.

I know folks say they make a big difference, but I really felt like I had to "earn" the right to purchase the gear. When I first started these, I barely broke 200, so felt I had plenty of room to do better on my own without outside "assists."

Dang, thanks for the heads up on the nerve damage. My support hand thumb was tingly/numb yesterday and I had no idea why. Had you not mentioned this, this could have become a problem over time.

Thanks for the tips. Is the purpose of the pushing the support hand to increase sling tension without having to cinch the sling too hard?

There's two matches annually at the Glendale gun club near Robertsville, about 20 minutes from St Louis county. There's several more matches at the Owensville gun club about 1:15 from StL.

You live in / near StL? Thanks again for the input. I also need to sell my current spotting scope and get one that has the angled eyepiece and a stand that can go low enough for prone and high enough for standing.
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 04-24-17 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pushing the support hand forward tightens the sling and applies pressure forward on the rifle, which counteracts recoil to some degree. This in turn speeds recovery of sights back on target.

I am originally from the St. Louis Metro area and visit the area from time to time.

If you can't afford to purchase a good high power jacket and a good spotting scope at the same time, purchase one and save up for the other. A decent glove should run under $40 and a decent canvas/leather jacket should run under $200. You can spend more if you like, but $250 for a glove and coat will get you started. You can find these items at Creedmoor Sports (https://www.creedmoorsports.com/) and a few other reputable companies. You can spend quite a bit on a spotting scope, but I think a Konus scope gets the job done for around $200 if you watch for a sale. You can see .30 caliber holes in a target at 300 yards in good light with this scope. https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...potting-Scopes. I have the older version and still use it on a weekly basis. You can build a usable scope stand for offhand shooting out of pipe, a few fittings and a 20 lb. plate from a weightlifting set, a disc brake rotor or whatever your imagination tells you.
    Train 2 Win

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast