Thread: Randy Cain Tactical Handgun 101, 21-23 April, Southern Exposure, Lakeland, FL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Randy Cain Tactical Handgun 101, 21-23 April, Southern Exposure, Lakeland, FL

Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics returns to Southern Exposure Training in Lakeland, FL for his foundation stone course, Tactical Handgun 101. This will be the last offering of this popular course for the first half of 2017 at Southern Exposure.

TH101 is the most popular course in the comprehensive Cumberland Tactics curriculum, providing a thorough introduction to the defensive use of the handgun. The course covers all elements of the Modern Technique of the Pistol, starting with the triad of marksmanship, gun handling, and mindset. Because of TH101's strong focus on the fundamentals, many proficient shooters with extensive training experience return again and again for TH101 to refresh their skills.

The course puts a high degree of emphasis on safety on and off the range, and covers marksmanship factors, the draw stroke, malfunction clearance, weapon retention, shooting on the move, moving targets, various firing positions, low-light shooting, and mental conditioning. Depending on the composition of the class, additional subjects such as individual tactics and working with a partner or as part of a team may be covered.

One seasoned shooter who has trained extensively with a number of nationally prominent instructors over the years, characterizes TH101 (a course he has taken many times) this way: "Randy will start at the most basic level, and build. You may think at 11AM on the first day that the class is too basic for you. It isn't. If you knew what he would be having you do at 11AM on the 3rd day you'd think the class was too advanced for you. It isn't."

The nominal ammunition requirement for the course is 600 Rounds. Some classes use less, some use more - bringing a little extra couldn't hurt. Tuition for the class is $550. Southern Exposure Training students get discounted rates at the Travelodge Motel at the intersection of I-4 and US-98. For registration and logistics information, contact Irv Lehman by email at: bigsfish@bellsouth.net.

Additional information about the instructor's philosophy, training credentials, and course registration can be found at his website: www.randycain.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have never heard anything but very high praise for his classes, he'd be a great person to train with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Randy's 101 pistol class is about the best fundamentals course you can take regardless of your experience level.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lewis Awerbuck was Jeff Cooper's Rangmaster at Gunsite.
    Randy was Lewis's student, then AI and then a teacher at Gunsite. Randy is the direct line of these great men.
    I've been honored to take over 20 3 day classes with different quality instructors.
    I learned more at Randy's TD1 in 101 than any other day on the range.
    As a daily CCW and then a USPSA and Steel Challenge competitior it is that knowledge that gets called on more than any other.
    It is not a high speed ninja class, but, you will be a lot smarter when you leave.
    Buck: did I miss any key points. jon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    ... did I miss any key points?
    Jon, that's a pretty good rundown. And as noted in the announcement above, Randy's credentials are available for anyone who's interested at his website. But full disclosure first: I have no financial or other vested interest in Cumberland Tactics or Southern Exposure Training. I pay the same full rate each class that every other student does - I don't get tuition discounts, toasters, or any other consideration. I post the announcements for these courses because I believe in the obligation to be proficient with any firearm you carry or own for defensive purposes, and my experience has been that Randy Cain is able to make newer shooters better quickly, and to challenge and coach more experienced shooters to be better still. And that's it.

Word of mouth at another training class led me to him in early 2005. Like you and other Southern Exposure alums, I've been fortunate enough to train with several other nationally prominent instructors, each gifted in his own way. But no matter who else I train with, I'll continue to go back to Randy.

Your question made me think of two things. One is something I've heard Randy say when the discussion turns to fundamentals, which some mistakenly interpret as stuff only for rank beginners. "I've never been in an advanced gunfight."

Speaking only for myself, that isn't in any way a knock on anyone providing courses titled "advanced." It's just another way of looking at the fact that the best shooters, whether .mil, LE, civilian, or competitor, all execute the same fundamentals that those of us who haven't reached the pinnacle do - they just do them better, smoother, and faster. I never cease to appreciate the number of highly accomplished shooters who return time and again to take TH101, on the same firing line as someone who may have just gotten his or her CWL and understands the obligation that goes with it. In that fact exists what our LE/investigative friends call "a clue."

And another quote: "Don't take the curve faster than you can make the curve." A student pushing himself to to shoot so fast, whether moving or stationary, that he's no longer getting good hits just might hear that. I know I have.

So yes, it's a foundation-level class, and in my view a far better investment than another gun, a fancy new knife, and so on. But that doesn't mean it's a class for beginners only, not by a damn sight.
    Last edited by Buck_L; 04-02-17 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Well said, Buck.