Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting, where to start?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Troubleshooting, where to start?

I need some suggestions on where to start troubleshooting a load. I really don't know much about fine tuning reloads.

I'm loading 115gr Precision Delta jacketed rounds with an exposed lead base. 3.7gr tite group, 1.13 OAL, CCI primers.

They won't hold a four-inch bull at 25 yards. My comparison is PMC Bronze - which does put them all in the black at 25.

These are loads for action pistol and they don't need to be bullseye accurate or make power factor, but they do need to group tight enough to take plates at 25yards - they don't, the PMC does.

They do drop in a neat little group upon ejection, so I'm pleased with that, however that isn't my metric.

What should I look at first in troubleshooting?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Troubleshooting, where to start?

How I load for pistol is take your bullet and do a push test to see how long you can load. With a 115 you can probably load really long. IF the Bullet pushes pack into the case by hitting the rifling shorten the OAL by .10-.15.

To do the push test find a Bullet and a fired casing that will fit together and be a little snug. Pull your barrel out one slowly push the shell with the bullet inserted into the barrel. Pull it out and see how long it is.

After I find my OAL I work my powder charges.

I use a Magneeto Speed on my pistol so I hook that up and load say 3.5 and work up in .1 increments.

I load for minor power factor but a lot of the time I have found my load will be more accurate above power factor.

I think with a 115 you may need to load more powder.

Do you have any way to chrono that load?

Even if you can't chrono I do the load up in increments and just shoot for groups. I usually shoot for groups at 15-25 yards and what ever groups the best I go with (if it makes PF).

Also next time you buy bullets move up to a 124 grain and possible the 147.

What pistol are you loading for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kenneth; 03-31-17 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    Build 5 rounds in every charge weight for the load. Set them all at the same overall length and crimp, same case etc. Shoot each group, and whatever group is the tightest is what you want. You might need to try different powders too. If wst works in the 124s I'd try that or vhitavouri. Vhitavouri isn't the cheapest powder, but I've had the best results with it in rifle and pistol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks.

I worked up batches of 10 rounds each going up a grain. I saw improvement at 4.2 so came home to load 4.3 through 4.5 but it got dark.

Feedback Score
    Make sure your seating depth and crimp are the same on all the rounds too. And be honest on calling your shots. I worked up a carry load last year at this time. I spent a lot of time shooting a pistol rested, it gets pretty easy to call your misses after awhile. But one has to be honest with themselves. If you loaded up 10 of each, you might be better off doing two five shot groups as opposed to one 10 shot

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The best accuracy I've obtained with a 115g bullet is to push it as fast as I safely can. If maximum charge weight is 4.8g, I'll start at 90% or 4.3g and work up from there.

I've caused accuracy issues by applying too much crimp. I'll pull the bullets from a few reloads and if I see more than a light indentation on the side of the projectile, I'll adjust for a lighter crimp. As a rule of thumb I load 9mm with an outside diameter of .380" at the case mouth and adjust from that point. I've found that .002" crimp is all that is necessary for preventing bullet set back on a handgun cartridge. The formula is Brass Thickness x 2 + Bullet Diameter + Crimp x 2 = Outside Case Mouth Diameter. If a case is 0.010" thick and my goal is 0.002" crimp the outside case mouth diameter with a 0.356" projectile should be 0.380".
    Last edited by T2C; 03-31-17 at 22:00.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You can also find good info here. http://forums.brianenos.com/index.ph...9mm38-caliber/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When it comes to pistol ammo, I start at published max. Some people may not be comfy with that, but I don't have the time to dick around. When I was inexperienced.... yes... I played it more conservatively, but now I don't have the time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Don't know know if this will help. When I was working up a load with my Bayou bullets, my M&P 9mm wouldn't hold 8 inches, with no POI corresponding to POA. I stopped using any taper crimp at all, just belled the cases enough not to shave the bullet. The groups shrank to 3" and POI/POA returned. This was at 25 yds of a bag.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My 124 gr PD load is 4 gr. Titegroup, which chronos 1130 fps.
    It's accurate.
    I'd guess your 3.7 load is too light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast