Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for Shortening a SBR - LAW vs. PDW Stock

Feedback Score

Options for Shortening a SBR - LAW vs. PDW Stock

Been wanting to shorten up one of my SBR's. Currently, it's got a 10.3" .300blk BA barrel, ALG 10" EMR handguard, and a Magpul SL-K stock (B5 bravo in the picture). Goal is to be able to shorten it to where it can fit in a normal size backpack.

SBRs
    by
    Photographer Pilot
    , on Flickr

Eventually, it's going to get a 7.5-8.5" .300blk barrel, but for now, I am wanting to shorten up the backend. I figure I have a couple decent options.

Option 1: Law Tactical Gen 3 Folder.

Probably my best option. Also likely the cheapest. Biggest question is if I would have to change buffer weight due to the extra piece that goes between the BCG and the buffer? Currently, I'm using a H2 buffer on the .300blk. Not much info out on the web in regards to that.

Option 2: PDW Stock system (looking at the Troy Tomahawk)

Cost is a bit higher, won't be quite as small, but capable of firing repeatedly with the stock fully collapsed. Would still be 2" shorter than a standard stock setup. Question here is also in regards to the buffer. Would I have to get a different buffer to equal what I am currently using (H2).

Anyone with experience with either of these options have feedback?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have the LAW 3rd gen on my 10.5" 5.56 SBR. You can use any carbine buffer you like in your gun. I went from using a VLTOR A5 to standard receiver ext and H2. I went away from the A5 to avoid the extra length of the receiver extension. I had no zero issues.

The LAW Gen 3 will also let you fire the gun while collapsed. The only caveat is that you'll have to extend the stock and charge it for subsequent shots. Otherwise it'll work in a pinch, although LAW does not recommend it. Sage Dynamics tested the LAW extensively and fired the gun multiple times while collapsed without issue.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Take a look at the LWRCI UCIW stock. I have it on my 8" 300BLK and it runs subs and supers fine. It does have a proprietary shorter buffer and flat wound spring but it works great. Collapsed it is 6" long. The buffer weighs 3.2 oz. Overall length with stock collapsed is under 26". MSRP is $131.
    The barrel is 8" and hand guard is 9"

Buffer on postal scale

Comparison in size to the SIG brace

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I love the Law. I have several and haven't had a single issue with any of my adapters. Use the stock you prefer and still achieve the overall length you want. A law folder on a 10.5 in sbr should be just under 21" and fit in a lot of backpacks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have the LAW and think it's an excellent choice for reducing OAL. I went back and forth on the folder vs. a PDW stock. I realized that any serious shooting I would do would mean I would want to extend the stock anyway, which is really no different time-wise than unfolding the stock with the LAW. I never had to change buffer weights, and that was both with standard and A5 RE and buffers.

Feedback Score
    Good question from the OP, but the reliability in operation really isn't there yet with the shortened action system compared to other alternatives.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Good question from the OP, but the reliability in operation really isn't there yet with the shortened action system compared to other alternatives.
    That's one of my primary concerns. That, and the proprietary nature of the springs and buffers concerns me.

I'm probably going to just get the LAW come Wed (tax return time!). I'm interested to see if the extra 2.2oz attached to the BCG changes what buffer I use. Might be good, got a 12" Larue that is severely overgassed, and even an H2 isn't heavy enough for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sucker76 View Post
    Take a look at the LWRCI UCIW stock. I have it on my 8" 300BLK and it runs subs and supers fine. It does have a proprietary shorter buffer and flat wound spring but it works great. Collapsed it is 6" long. The buffer weighs 3.2 oz. Overall length with stock collapsed is under 26". MSRP is $131.
    The barrel is 8" and hand guard is 9"

Buffer on postal scale

Comparison in size to the SIG brace
    I've considered the UICW, and it's the cheapest by a fair amount. Just not sure about it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wanted a short stock and the PDW style stocks were brand new and more expensive than they are now. The NEA stock was the only offering back then.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    With a 7" .223 Wylde Rainier Arms barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast