Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Uncle wants to shoot an AR15.

Feedback Score

My Uncle wants to shoot an AR15.

He's was in the Army when th M14 was issued, so I doubt he has shot an AR. I'm planning to bring a LE6960, a MP15 and of course the M1A which should bring back some memories. He's in his 70s and still in good health. I guess I should bring the Colt O1918, he should be familure with it too. I'm going to try to give him the best day at the range I can manage. BTW what would be a good target style for older eyes? I'll probably will benefit from it too.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Probably some Shoot n sees. Those help my old eyes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Probably some Shoot n sees. Those help my old eyes.
    Yep. I'd definitely go with a few "splatter" type targets. They come in assorted colors, sizes, and shapes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Orange or the medium-light blue B27 silhouettes are by far easiest thing for me to see with iron sights or longer distance with 0 power optic like Aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    My favorite training target for new shooters is a simple white paper plate. For a rifle I would start them out at 10-15 yards and move it back 5 yards at a time when they are able to keep all 5 rounds on the plate. If they get to 25 yds I start drawing a 3" circle on the plate with a sharpie. Most won't get to 25 yds on the first day with the kind of guns the OP is talking about. I don't allow loading over 5 rounds in a magazine. Stopping them every 5 rounds forces them to become familiar with the controls faster and avoids having a hot weapon on the bench. Nothing frustrates a new shooter faster than being forced to shoot at targets they cannot hit. I had a new women shooter tell me she wanted to learn how to defend herself not how to shoot paper plates. I held a paper plate against my chest and didn't say a word. She smiled and said she understood completely.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IPSC cardboard targets spray painted a bright color work well. Just buy some wood tomato stakes at home depot and staple the targets to the stakes. The targets cost around 60¢ each.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would say IDPA or IPSC target with shoot'n see in the middle.

Or steel, if possible. No doubt about a hit.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the comments, I'll get a few shoot and see, and a few paper plates. He's a Marylander, so he only has one pistol. You have to pay the state to grant permission to buy guns there.

Feedback Score
    I am 70 and I started with the M1 and qualified with the M16A1. Your Uncle shouldn't have a problem.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Depends on the range and lighting conditions. If your targets get direct sunlight, anything white is going to seems too bright. For this scenario, I'd prefer a one of the tea colored paper targets with a black bullseye. Its a standard paper target, I forget the designation though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast