Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Super Charging Handle; looks can be deceiving

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Geissele Super Charging Handle; looks can be deceiving

I was going to order a Raptor for my SR-15 Mod 2 this evening. I stopped by Cabela's on the way home. They had a couple Noveskes in the Gun Library; one had the Raptor the other had the Geissele. I've been ogling both online for a couple months. Visually, the Raptor looks more appealing to me. The Geissele looks "pointy" but whenever I have the rifle slung across my chest, I'm wearing body armor, so that's a non issue for me.

After handling both, I was completely dissuaded from ordering the Raptor. The Geissele was exponentially more comfortable to manipulate. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stock KAC charging handle, but I have to do ambidextrous malfunction clearance drills and shoot left-handed when training/ qualifying.

Obviously, I won't be able to evaluate actual performance until I have one in my gun but if you're on the fence and can't physically handle both prior to purchase, the Geissele feels a lot better.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by capt46wfd View Post
    After handling both, I was completely dissuaded from ordering the Raptor. The Geissele was exponentially more comfortable to manipulate. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stock KAC charging handle, but I have to do ambidextrous malfunction clearance drills and shoot left-handed when training/ qualifying.
    Comfortable does not always equal optimum usability. I find the M&P pistol far more comfy than a Glock, but I shoot well with a Glock, and not so well with the M&P. Anyway, I digress...

I've used the Raptor, Geissele, and BCM charging handles, with the Raptor and BCM extensively in 2-gun competitions. Both of those have worked well for me, no hiccups. The Geissele is also the most comfortable of the bunch for me, but I find it seems to require a longer and more deliberate pull to get it unlatched vs. the other two. The BCM is the least comfortable for me, but it works every time and costs less than 2/3 as much as the others. The ambi BCM is actually my favorite for functionality, still at lower cost.

The Geissele handle seems to have some kind of camming arrangement designed in, while the other two seem to have a more direct relationship between pulling on the left side and lifting the latch. I like fewer parts and simple direct relationships (in mechanical things, at least). To me the Geissele handle feels less direct and immediate. I am a fan of Geissele and without a doubt their charging handle is well made, but in my use I don't find a functional benefit.

If I'm missing something that makes the Geissele actually better, let me know. It seems like the newer $100 handles have displaced good ol' reliable BCM but the BCM is still a very solid option, especially with their ambi version available.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Equal (small) latches (BCM has same small latches on both sides too), serrations that not only mitigate horizontal movements but also vertical. If you look around charging handles, Geissele's is probably the only one with more than vertical serrations.

Geissele's latch serrations are probably overlooked by many, the first time I put my finger on it, I saw the simple solution nobody else had reached.

Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Equal (small) latches (BCM has same small latches on both sides too), serrations that not only mitigate horizontal movements but also vertical. If you look around charging handles, Geissele's is probably the only one with more than vertical serrations.

Geissele's latch serrations are probably overlooked by many, the first time I put my finger on it, I saw the simple solution nobody else had reached.

I couldn't agree more.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have BCM Mod 3 and Mod 4 handles. I considered a Mod 44 ambi, but the two places I saw them in stock, there was less than $10 price difference between it and the Geissele. I guess I'll find out when it gets here if I like it functually. If not, then I'll wait until I can find the BCM at 2/3 the price. I agree with you on the benefits of simplicity of design in mechanical products.

I was at Grant's retail store a couple weeks ago and picked up a Geissele SD-C trigger. If he would have had a BCM Mod 44, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post

This my current setup on my 6920, a LDFA and Geissele Super Charging Handle. Dig it.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have multiple Raptors, BCM Mod 44's and a Geissele. All of them are good at what they do, and everyone is going to have a preference based on their particular criteria, etc..

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have the Raptor, Avalanche, Mod 44, Geissele and like them all.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like and carry all of them in our store, and use them on my ARs. Raptor and Geissele feel better to me, most likely because of their large pivoting latches afford a huge contact area with the fingers.

On the Raptor, I have couple of minor gripes, but purely from a designer's standpoint. The larger right latch's purpose is lost on me, I understand the reason (to clear the forward assist) but in practice, it might as well be the same size as the small, left latch. As long as the FA has a rim, your knuckles or fingernails are likely to hit it. AXTS (now Radien) lets you order the Raptor with two large latches, but not two small latches

The skeletonized latches also bug me, it always has. In my old job, I wanted them to make a version with solid latches version, but I had left before that happened. I think Umbrella Corporation did do that. Many users like the looks of the hollowed out latches, but they seem to serve little purpose for aluminum levers, I can only surmise it's done for looks. This didn't start the annoying fad of skeletonizing everything, but it's an early example of it. At least it didn't hollow out surface area that comes in contact with the finger, like hollowed out levers and paddles.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    MOD EDIT: No. Your first post, and you decide to shitpost...?

Next time, consider having something worth saying, vice just saying something because you can.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast