Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressed sbr and optics.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Suppressed sbr and optics.

Curious on people's thoughts about about sbr's in the 556, 10.5-12.5 range and what optic would you pick?

Trying to decide between a "short dot" and "t1" optics.
    I personally want to go "short dot" but does the size and weight and ability to see farther outweigh the light weight, hard to see target at range and lower cost?

Sorry if you can't understand I'm a tad drunk and I'm really curious on where people stand.

I planned on going for a gray man gp rifle if that makes sense.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I recommend a micro type RDS for use on an SBR. You can always add a magnifier for longer engagements.

I use Short dots / low variable power optics's on carbines ( 14.5 )

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If you only have one SBR I think it should be short and light. That's the point right? I have a 10.5" with a red dot. If I had a 2nd SBR then I think the 12.5"/1-4x LPV concept is kind of neat.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    I recommend a micro type RDS for use on an SBR. You can always add a magnifier for longer engagements.

I use Short dots / low variable power optics's on carbines ( 14.5 )
    This.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I use T-1s or MROs with Scalarworks LD mounts on my SBRs. I liked the EOTech EXPS-3 but until they fix their issues, I'm out on that.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a 2 MOA Aimpoint T-1 on my 11.5" BCM, and it does everything I need, even with my bad eyes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a 4 MOA Vortex strikefire for a while and replaced it with a 1-4x scope. It was plenty fine for quick shots but with a large dot I couldn't be more accurate than 4 MOA. The proper scope was the best of both worlds for me because I could have the quick shots or dial up magnification for more precise shots.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aside from the hickup at the start I'd say good run.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm using a T-1 on my 10.5" SBR. It does what I want it to do and I can hit a 6" piece of steel out at 200 yards all day with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been using a 4 MOA H1 and more recently, a 2 MOA T2 Micro on a suppressed 10.5" shorty. I've also been using magnified optics for more years than I care to admit to. The shorty is effective out to at least 300 yards. By effective, I find it easy to make hits on torso sized targets from the offhand position.

Between the RDS and a LPV, the best choice is the best optic you can afford that works for you. That sounds ambiguous, but it's not. The fact is, with modern quality optics, there is no wrong choice between the two types. One may be better at something than the other, but the other will be better at something than the one. There will be pros and cons but in reality, I can't think of anything that is an absolute deal breaker, or clincher, for the general use a suppressed shorty AR will be put to. You can ask us our opinions and we'll give them all day long, but in the end, you'll have to weigh things out for yourself. Only you can decide if the versatility of an LPV is worth it's extra weight and complexity, or if the simplicity and weight savings of the RDS is worth the lack of magnification and focus adjustment. If I needed a magnifier with the Aimpoint, I'd spend the money on an LPV instead for greater versatility, better choices of reticles and not having to fumble with removing or swinging the magnifier out of the way when it wasn't needed.

Currently, I'm enjoying the light weight and compact size of the T2 on my shorty, enough so that I put up with the problems that arise from my astigmatism. But I'm certain that an LPV would serve me equally well.

My preference is for the Micro over the Pro. The Micro is lighter and smaller and when looking at the target with both eyes open and not just through the optic, I don't see the tube, I see the dot. The tube blurs out to a dim shadow, especially when shooting fast and I only have time to track target and the dot.

All said and done, my advice is like telling you what kind of socks you should wear
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-04-17 at 14:56.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast