Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppressed sbr and optics.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I use a TA01 NSN ACOG on one upper and an Aimpoint T-1 on another.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have two SBRs, one with a Micro T-1 and the other with an Aimpoint PRO. I prefer the PRO for it's larger tube. It's located in the middle of the rifle...I don't find the extra weight of the optic to affect the swing weight compared to the T-1. If you want to see 200-300 yard targets, add a magnifier like the G33 - mine works well with either. It detaches easily and you can use it between all of your rifles.
    Last edited by Hmac; 04-03-17 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    1-6 strike eagle works pretty well... when you remember to charge the rifle lol https://youtu.be/3k_C1lV6Ai4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aside from the hickup at the start I'd say good run.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm using a T-1 on my 10.5" SBR. It does what I want it to do and I can hit a 6" piece of steel out at 200 yards all day with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been using a 4 MOA H1 and more recently, a 2 MOA T2 Micro on a suppressed 10.5" shorty. I've also been using magnified optics for more years than I care to admit to. The shorty is effective out to at least 300 yards. By effective, I find it easy to make hits on torso sized targets from the offhand position.

Between the RDS and a LPV, the best choice is the best optic you can afford that works for you. That sounds ambiguous, but it's not. The fact is, with modern quality optics, there is no wrong choice between the two types. One may be better at something than the other, but the other will be better at something than the one. There will be pros and cons but in reality, I can't think of anything that is an absolute deal breaker, or clincher, for the general use a suppressed shorty AR will be put to. You can ask us our opinions and we'll give them all day long, but in the end, you'll have to weigh things out for yourself. Only you can decide if the versatility of an LPV is worth it's extra weight and complexity, or if the simplicity and weight savings of the RDS is worth the lack of magnification and focus adjustment. If I needed a magnifier with the Aimpoint, I'd spend the money on an LPV instead for greater versatility, better choices of reticles and not having to fumble with removing or swinging the magnifier out of the way when it wasn't needed.

Currently, I'm enjoying the light weight and compact size of the T2 on my shorty, enough so that I put up with the problems that arise from my astigmatism. But I'm certain that an LPV would serve me equally well.

My preference is for the Micro over the Pro. The Micro is lighter and smaller and when looking at the target with both eyes open and not just through the optic, I don't see the tube, I see the dot. The tube blurs out to a dim shadow, especially when shooting fast and I only have time to track target and the dot.

All said and done, my advice is like telling you what kind of socks you should wear
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-04-17 at 14:56.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    That is some pretty impressive shooting. I can barely hit 300 yards from a bench let alone off hand.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have 4 SBRs, two with EOTechs that are still running so they are still mounted. One with an M4s and the other with an LPV. You didn't specify what the purpose of your SBR is. I think that drives the optic choice as much as anything. I have an LPV on my 12" because I want the ability to reach out to the 3-400 yd range with a CQ weapon. I have EOTechs on because I know it and have used it more and that's where my comfort level is. I have the m4s because I wanted some diversity although they fulfill a similar but not exactly the same purpose. One of my optic rules is this: if you need to magnify it, get an LPV. Don't get a magnifier. But that's just me. I'd rather have the better glass and flexibility of the variable mag.
    I do have a lightweight RDS, but after shooting with it vs my m4s, I found I preferred the larger tube and I did not lose any acquisition speed with the smaller footprint optic. (sparcAR) IMO the weight difference (10 oz I believe) isn't worth the advantage I get with the larger tube.
    Best bet is to find a buddy with some of the optics you are interested in, or seeing your local range had any mounted. Try before you buy if you can. It's even better if you're at a place you can run a few of the optics and even better if you can run some drills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    General use is general purpose, basically a gp gray man gun

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 3 SBRs. I run an Aimpoint T-1 on one, EoTech with magnifier on another, and a 1-4 NXS on the other.

They each have their use. I've taken big game with each at ranges well past what most say they are capable of.

In my experience, optic choice determines what the gun is good at more than any other single feature.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast