Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: StrongLifts 5x5

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)

StrongLifts 5x5

I am a flight nurse and currently work for a large Level 1 Medical Center.
    My back and core have been in bad shape for years. Partly my own fault, not using proper ergonomics, and partly the job.
    Staying on your feet for 12 hours shifts 3-4 days in a row, working nights, and not following a continuous work out program (being consistent), has led to some continued back pain.

I decided to make a change and be consistent. I have been doing strong lifts 5x5 for 3 months now.
    My current progress is
    Squat: 235
    OH Press: 115
    Deadlift: 275
    Bench: 185
    Barbell Row: 105
    Weighted Dips: 35
    Skull Crush : 50
    Barbell Curls: 60
    Pull Ups:8-7-7
    Push Ups:10-10-10

I know it's not much weight I'm throwing around, but I feel stronger and my back is hurting less. I have been strictly focused on form and movement during my lifts.

I have been using BCAA by ForzaOne during my workouts.

I have access to my gym which is very nice and I also workout at work as we have down time and nice gym set up at my LifeFlight base.

I also throw in rucking with 20-30lbs on my off days or some bag work.

I would love any advice. I am still progressing each week, but the lifts are getting harder and I don't want to sacrifice form or injure myself.

Humbly,
    Reed

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Reed,

Without knowing much more, it's hard to make any recommendations but I would look at your diet and sleep habits. I know with your profession, it may be hard to change much about this, but you may not be recovering and fueling your body enough to progress as fast as you want.

Also, it may help to define what exactly your goal is. Do you want to progress and squat 500 lbs? Or do you just want to be consistent, make slow steady progress, and just generally feel better and be more healthy? Those are two very different things.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 04-02-17 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    5x5 is a classic basis for strength training. Is your goal to get stronger or more fit?

Solid state cardio can hurt strength gains, I do HIIT and continue to make gains (PRs last week of 350 bench and 525 deadlift after a recent 40 lb weight loss).

What do mean when you say the lifts are getting harder? Can you no longer complete lifts at the same weight or are you struggling to lift increasingly heavier weights?

Feedback Score
    I highly recommend checking out Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength. Stronglifts kinda copied the SS program. Rippetoe has a few books out but his Starting Strength book is excellent for learning about the main lifts and why they are done. I did Stronglifts before I learned about Rippetoe and Stronglifts burned me out too fast.

It also looks like you're doing too much other stuff while trying to run a linear progression. That will cut into your recovery. Just take a few months to focus on gaining strength then you can go back to rucking and bag work.

Feedback Score
    I second the recommendation of Starting Strength. Mark Rippetoe knows his shit.

Compound exercises need to be your bread and butter. Squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, barbell rows, and pull-ups to start out. The dips are fine as well. That should cover you initially. All the other stuff can be done in time, but you should build a base of strength first. Make sure you are eating a lot of food.

If the lifts are getting harder, then don't go up in weight so fast.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    5x5 is a classic basis for strength training. Is your goal to get stronger or more fit?

Solid state cardio can hurt strength gains, I do HIIT and continue to make gains (PRs last week of 350 bench and 525 deadlift after a recent 40 lb weight loss).

What do mean when you say the lifts are getting harder? Can you no longer complete lifts at the same weight or are you struggling to lift increasingly heavier weights?
    I distinctly noted that I made LOSSES while doing Crossfit. HIIT can be overdone...
    I also noticed as I began running more, ,my gains tapered off even on my own program. I am back to doing HIIT. I do no more than a working 10 minutes of HIIT (20 minutes total, as I do a 1:1 ratio), and the strength gains are back on the rise.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    I second the recommendation of Starting Strength. Mark Rippetoe knows his shit.

Compound exercises need to be your bread and butter. Squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, barbell rows, and pull-ups to start out. The dips are fine as well. That should cover you initially. All the other stuff can be done in time, but you should build a base of strength first. Make sure you are eating a lot of food.

If the lifts are getting harder, then don't go up in weight so fast.

I do the same job as OP, except not LVL1 or flight, but the same schedule, etc. (I work weekend nights).
    I have found Wendler 5/3/1 and his recommendation of 10# per cycle lower body, and 5# per cycle upper body is SPOT ON for what I'm gaining. I've gone from 255--->285 bench, 155--->175 OHP, 375 backsquat--->405 since I started it around the very end of last year.

My "working lifts" are DL, Front Squat, Backsquat, Flatbench, OH Press, and bent-over rows (I simply track with bench on those, as they are a direct opposite, and I am a fan of balance). Curls, pull-ups, incline bench (only because I do it with dumbells, and we only have 100# dumbells as a max at my gym, otherwise I'd "program" them too), cable-cross, etc are just "for the girls" lifts, for me. I use these lifts because I like them, they build sexymuscle, etc. (Except pull-ups. You need those!)
    Last edited by WS6; 04-02-17 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Certainly anything can be overdone. I believe that 20-30 minutes of HIIT is all that's generally recommended at a maximum. I do 35 minutes (including 5 min warmup/cool down).

Starting Strength and Wendler are also great programs for strength building, IF that's what you want. OP, if your looking more for a general fitness regimen, I would try moderate weight training (4-6 sets, 8-12 reps) along with cardio like rucking, etc.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Just my. 03 but if your doing 30-35 mind of HIIT your not doing it right.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Just my. 03 but if your doing 30-35 mind of HIIT your not doing it right.
    After about 10-12 minutes of actual work, I'm done for. Anything longer and it's endurance training, IMO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast