Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: So I've Figured Out That I Want a 1911. Now What?

Feedback Score
    For the price Ruger SR 1911 .45 auto is a good buy in book.
    USMC RVN Vet. 0311,68/69.

Feedback Score
    So I wound up changing my magazine order and got the Chip McCormick 10 rounder. Midway had for $33 and I had to place an order for other stuff anyways.

With that mag the gun has been 100%. So I've got a $500 1911 and a top of the line magazine, makes sense right?

Have really enjoyed getting to know the 1911 platform, and have field disassembled mine three times now, without a barrel bushing wrench even. I've found one of those fat popsicle sticks works quite well to depress the plunger.

Gun shoots great, really love the trigger. With the McChip magazine, flawless operation, coming up on 300 rounds now. I'd have no issue trusting this for an HD role.

Good fun learning a new platform, especially one that is uniquely American.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    You need to learn how to remove the slide without screwing with bushing wrench and possibly launching the recoil spring plug.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=0h0m17s&v=pnjKxOBhXxU

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    You need to learn how to remove the slide without screwing with bushing wrench and possibly launching the recoil spring plug.

That was how I learned to do it. It works and I haven't eaten the bushing since.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yep.

A lifetime ago an AMU armorer showed my this, while scarcely concealing his contempt for my dumb ass.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I got my first 1911 back in 1998 as a gift, it was an Auto Ordnance. I still have it because of emotional value but haven't shot it since 2000.

When I got back from deployment in late 2001 I got myself a Springfield--I do not remember the model but it was not a base model. I had quite a few problems with it, feeding, ejecting among others. I was using Chip McCormack magazines at the time. I ended up trading it for a Kimber Eclipse Target II in early 2002. I know Kimber does not get a lot of love here but I have shot it for several thousand rounds with no gun malfunctions. I did have a Colt magazine that broke a spring and induced failure to feed but that and that was within the last 4 years.

I have at times thought about trading or selling it to fund a Wilson, but my experience with the Kimber has been nothing but good and can't make myself get rid of it.

With that said, I am now eyeing a Wilson since I can afford one much easier than back when I got the Kimber. Specifically the EDC X9 or the Tactical Carry (or lightweight tactical carry).

The SA looked much like this one but I don't remember TRP on the slide.
    IMG_0220.jpg
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 05-08-17 at 20:52.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score

Nice. I took a look at a look of vids and never saw that angle. As long as you keep holding it correctly, it does look to be easier and more "natural"
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yep.

A lifetime ago an AMU armorer showed my this, while scarcely concealing his contempt for my dumb ass.
    Lol. That made me laugh. I was show it as well as reassmbly by an old guy at a gun store when I went to shoot my, new to me, Colt Double Eagle, after he tried to buy it off me actually.

@hotrodder636. Was the Springfield you had a Loaded model? Would have had the forward cocking serrations or at least I think they would have, novak cut sights, but no mag well, at least not factory, and no TRP markings. If it was giving you issues I'd have said it should have gone back to Springfield, personally never known anyone with issues with their CS and my personal TRP has been without issue on my end baring mag issues(Had an old ACT mag that the follower managed to turn itself upside down while feeding.)
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    @hotrodder636. Was the Springfield you had a Loaded model? Would have had the forward cocking serrations or at least I think they would have, novak cut sights, but no mag well, at least not factory, and no TRP markings. If it was giving you issues I'd have said it should have gone back to Springfield, personally never known anyone with issues with their CS and my personal TRP has been without issue on my end baring mag issues(Had an old ACT mag that the follower managed to turn itself upside down while feeding.)
    It was likely that one. It did have front cocking serrations. I was young at the time and didn't think about customer service. Either way, I have been happy and content with my Kimber purchase. But that Wilson...had to go drool on some pics after I started thinking about one again. Yep, the Tactical Carry Compact.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Update on the Rock Island "Rock" Gov't sized 9mm. Thing has been running like a champ, really accurate as well. Put 200 more rounds through it, for 500 rounds total. Also handled 25 home brew hollow points without a hickup. Last 200 rounds have been with the Chip McCormick 10 round magazine and the gun/mag combo has been flawless, highly recommend that for any wanting a reliable 10 round mag for their 1911.

Very happy with this purchase.

A reliable, accurate 1911 that you can feed 9mm to for $500 & change ... what's not to like?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910