Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So I've Figured Out That I Want a 1911. Now What?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Just another person't opinion, but I was in your same boat not too long ago. I owned a para 1911 about 8-9 years ago, but I was not a serious shooter by any stretch of the imagination back then (ie. I didn't know what I didn't know). Now after shooting Glocks for awhile, then Sigs, I had a 1911 urge, and I went with the Lipsey's exclusive 9mm "TRP-style." I bought it after a friend of mine got one and has both enjoyed it very much as hasn't had a single problem with it. A used one came up that was traded in by someone I know, and had a low round count. I have also shot the .45 TRP a bit and think it is a great option to look at if you are wanting a .45.

Feedback Score
    Getting a good 1911 is something most people want... they usually don't like the cost.. lol... I bought a Sig scorpion carry model.. and love it.. never had any issues with it.. cost me 1100$ .. and at the time, I had thought about buying something like a Para, Ruger or Smith & wesson..and just building it up with features..but when I figured out that buying the Sig would actually be about the same price I just dropped the cash and went on my way. I've never had any issues with mine, and have done plenty of mag dumps with it too..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I would look the Springfield or Ruger first. They are half your budget and why spend $1300 and decide in 6 months you don't like 1911's. Both companies have great customer service if needed. I've owned both and prefer the Springfield grip safety over the Ruger. Don't overlook the 9mm 1911's either. They are fun to shoot. Good luck with your choice. David

Feedback Score
    I've been following the discussion on this thread, as I've been looking at 9mm 1911s as well. Thou not a proper "pedigree" for a 1911, I've been looking at this

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911...eets/6722.html

Street prices are low to mid $700s

Thoughts, opinions?
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I haven't shot the Ruger but I have the EMP4 and love it. Here is a thread on the Ruger. David

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ruger+1911+9mm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    I haven't shot the Ruger but I have the EMP4 and love it. Here is a thread on the Ruger. David

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ruger+1911+9mm
    Thanks, was a good "test drive" by the OP. I'm just wrestling with that or a Springfield, as I really do like the Springfield's roots / long lineage of 1911. I don't yet see a compelling quality / function reason to buy one or the other, but I'm newer to the category. Colts are pretty pricey, but it's the company's ability to sustain itself that concerns me more. Remington ... I don't know, they just don't seem to be gettin' it done handgun wise.

Ideally, a killer 4th of July sale will come along for a Springfield. If not, I do feel like the Ruger won't disappoint at least, just not as much pride of ownership.

The Springfield EMP$ Contour is sexy sweet to be sure, would love to own that.
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 04-03-17 at 20:19.
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've been enjoying running the snot out of my colt, nothing wrong with a Springfield or ruger though. Get something under 1k and grab a pile of quality mags and ammo!!!

Feedback Score
    Question on replacing the recoil spring on 1911s ... what is considered a prudent # of rounds to replace it at? Not asking about how far you can stretch out the replacement, but rather, what round count is "prudent"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Question on replacing the recoil spring on 1911s ... what is considered a prudent # of rounds to replace it at? Not asking about how far you can stretch out the replacement, but rather, what round count is "prudent"
    The round count numbers that I always used, and I want to say I picked it up off watching or reading something from LAV, for a fullsized 1911, if running +p, every 1k rounds. For normal ball every 3k. Since I don't run a lot of +P through my guns I change them around the 3K mark, which is pretty much about where I change the springs in my other pistols as well, including my glocks, and have not had an issue. I am sure that some will say there is more life in the springs, but, its a cheap part and worth it to me to prevent headaches, trust me have had enough of them this week. This is with regular springs, haven't tried the flatwire or anything like that so the round counts could differ on them. But, for GP I'd say 3-4K
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    The round count numbers that I always used, and I want to say I picked it up off watching or reading something from LAV, for a fullsized 1911, if running +p, every 1k rounds. For normal ball every 3k. Since I don't run a lot of +P through my guns I change them around the 3K mark, which is pretty much about where I change the springs in my other pistols as well, including my glocks, and have not had an issue. I am sure that some will say there is more life in the springs, but, its a cheap part and worth it to me to prevent headaches, trust me have had enough of them this week. This is with regular springs, haven't tried the flatwire or anything like that so the round counts could differ on them. But, for GP I'd say 3-4K
    I've seen similar. I'd be cautious on 9mm, they have been very finicky in the past. Not that I'd buy a Ruger anyways, but a 9mm version would concern me. For someone that wants both 9mm and .45, Colt Combat Unit all day. I really doubt the company will disappear. And if it does, SACS and Wilson will still work on their guns. Plus that'd make functioning Colt's very collectible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast