Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So I've Figured Out That I Want a 1911. Now What?

Feedback Score
    On the recoil springs LAV told us 2500 at max. I do it before a class or at the 2000 mark.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    I've been enjoying running the snot out of my colt, nothing wrong with a Springfield or ruger though. Get something under 1k and grab a pile of quality mags and ammo!!!
    ...and resist the urge to "improve" it by dragging it through the Brownells gatalog with a crap magnet.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman View Post
    ...and resist the urge to "improve" it by dragging it through the Brownells gatalog with a crap magnet.
    Ha, that made me lolz.

Reminiscent of the old JC Whitney catalog jokes.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've been going back and forth trying to decide if I want a 1911 myself. I've read a ton here in various threads and if i decide to pull the trigger on one (all puns intended) I've set my mind on a Colt Commander pistol. Either the lightweight or standard weight. If I decide to spend a bit more $$ it will be a Dan Wesson Valor Commander. I shot a Kimber Pro CDP for a while and it never gave me any problems. So I have a bit of experience with 1911's. Wouldn't go back to a Kimber period. What is keeping me from getting a 1911 is that I love carrying my G19 or a M&P 45 Midsize. The M&P is stupid accurate and about as maintenance free as you can get. A whole lot less work in the long run than a 1911 would be. With all of that being said I'm about a gnats butt hair away from getting one.

Feedback Score
    Well, a gnat's hair doesn't offer much resistance ;-) ... those are some nice choices you have in mind.

To me, a 1911 would round out / complete my gun collection. Plus, I don't think there's many guns that have as nice a trigger as a tuned 1911. I shot a friends and his Springfield bare bones GI model was crazy accurate for me.

Do I "need" one? Hells no. But to me it's the kinda' firearm every guy needs to own.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post

Do I "need" one? Hells no. But to me it's the kinda' firearm every guy needs to own.
    I bought mine as a 21st birthday present to myself, mostly because of this. I've only carried it once and I don't think that every real American needs to have one, but I did feel that I had to have one. And I felt somewhat empty inside while it was away at SACS. I just wish I had a 9mm one too. And FWIW, while I haven't put a lot of rounds through mine (just under 3k I think), it hasn't been any more work than any other gun I have. As long as it's a good one, I don't see why people really weigh that as such a con. Unless they're talking about upgrading it of course, but that's why I think I'll go straight to a high end 1911 next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So I've been reading the specs on the Colt commanders, steel vs. aluminum frame. Only a 2-3 oz difference, those who have shot or carried both, do you feel the difference?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I bought mine as a 21st birthday present to myself, mostly because of this. I've only carried it once and I don't think that every real American needs to have one, but I did feel that I had to have one. And I felt somewhat empty inside while it was away at SACS. I just wish I had a 9mm one too. And FWIW, while I haven't put a lot of rounds through mine (just under 3k I think), it hasn't been any more work than any other gun I have. As long as it's a good one, I don't see why people really weigh that as such a con. Unless they're talking about upgrading it of course, but that's why I think I'll go straight to a high end 1911 next time.
    Good rationale, I'll call mine an early bday present. I wouldn't carry mine, so I'm looking for full / traditional size.

I was at the gun store last night and and looked over the Rock Island Standard 9mm and the Ruger (model?) 9 mm.

They both felt solid, nothing rattling when shook, very nicely machined, slick moving slides etc. Really didn't feel or see any differences between the two, however, the trigger on the RI felt really, really good. Zero creep and the proverbial glass straw break. The Ruger's had a nice, crisp break, but had some creep before that point. Ruger gives you fully adjustable rear sight, RI's is drift adjustable. RI's sights are plain black, but they worked for me and also had a perfect amount of tight space between front post and rear blade edge for my preferenc. The Ruger's had more "air" between them than I like. RI gives you ambi safety which I want, skeleton trigger with adjustable stop and skeleton trigger and hammer ... the Ruger I looked at did not have those. I do want the ambi safety to practice with my left hand.

Both have lifetime warranty coverage. Apparently with Rock Island, they have some quality farts here and there.

The Rock Island was $550 and Ruger was $800ish (?)

The Rock can be bought online for roughly $100ish less online/sale, but independent owned gun stores aren't getting rich and this one also built an indoor range, so I'm happy to pay more to help the common cause. Also, if I have an issue with the gun, the store sends it back for the customer without fee, so that's a nice easy button versus buying online.

This is the Rock Island model ... Am I missing something here, or are they good to go? The gun would be a range toy ... not carried and not a gun safe museum piece obviously.

http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-ser...andard-fs-9mm/
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 04-05-17 at 09:44.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldozer3 View Post
    Close enough budget wise to a dan Wesson - makes it a no brainer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I have been shopping awhile and was down to a Colt or a Springfield TRP, then I held a Dan Wesson Valor. Nothing against the other 2, but the DW was just built to a higher level. I bought the Valor in blue and wow what a pistol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MAUSER202 View Post
    I have been shopping awhile and was down to a Colt or a Springfield TRP, then I held a Dan Wesson Valor. Nothing against the other 2, but the DW was just built to a higher level. I bought the Valor in blue and wow what a pistol.
    I was going to order a valor via their custom option and have them blue it.... then they made a production version... it shall be mine - once I hear back if I have a job that I interviewed for!

Dan Wesson just makes a fantastic 1911

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast