Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK47 and variants

Feedback Score

AK47 and variants

I recently acquired one and they're a joy to shoot. They're a bit hard on my Steel plates. I use the open/iron sights so far. I see that there are two main mounts: One along the fore end and one along the side of the receiver.

My question is for all of you. Do you add a rail and Optics on your AK/AK variant? If you do add Optics, which do you find is more helpful: Side mounted rail or for end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The type of mount you go for is going to depend largely on the type of optic that you want to run and how far away you want it from your eye. The railed gas tube mounts are good for small red dots like an Aimpoint micro and not much else. A side mount, like an RS Regulate, will place the optic right over the dust cover closer to your eye opening up your options to include scopes or other eye relief dependent optics.

I haven't mounted any optics on my AK's yet, but whenever I get around to it I would personally would opt for an RS Regulate side mount and then a red dot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Prefer side mounts.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I, too, would go with the RS Regulate side mount:

RtZ QD, no need to semi-permanently mount your lower handguard and gas tube, wider variety of more ideal optics mounting locations, &c.

Between the Magpul, Krebs, and assorted Russian manufacture handguards and the RS Regulate light and sight mounts, I don't see much reason to choose an Ultimak in 2017.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I, too, would go with the RS Regulate side mount:

RtZ QD, no need to semi-permanently mount your lower handguard and gas tube, wider variety of more ideal optics mounting locations, &c.

Between the Magpul, Krebs, and assorted Russian manufacture handguards and the RS Regulate light and sight mounts, I don't see much reason to choose an Ultimak in 2017.
    +1, good advice
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto426 View Post
    The type of mount you go for is going to depend largely on the type of optic that you want to run and how far away you want it from your eye. The railed gas tube mounts are good for small red dots like an Aimpoint micro and not much else. A side mount, like an RS Regulate, will place the optic right over the dust cover closer to your eye opening up your options to include scopes or other eye relief dependent optics.

I haven't mounted any optics on my AK's yet, but whenever I get around to it I would personally would opt for an RS Regulate side mount and then a red dot.

I use the Russian 4x side mount scopes, Russian red dot side mount scopes, Kalinka Aimpoint side rail mounts or side pic rail mounts for variable optics.

Update the iron sights as well, Kreb's peep style rear sight and a Tech Sights narrow front sight post.

http://www.tech-sights.com/product/t...ifles-tapered/
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-02-17 at 20:15.

Feedback Score
    If my ak was my go-to, id get the rs regulate.

It's a fun-gun for me, so I went with the attero bravo aimpoint micro mount as I think the location beats the crap out of the ultimak. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as my gun is in pieces, but it's an option to look at, and less parts than the MI mount that is similar.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-02-17 at 20:49.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Going through this now. About to get an aimpoint pro and put it on the rsreg
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I use Ultimaks. They've proven themselves time and time again for me in use, so that's what I stick with. Aimpoint Micro and M600U, good to go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Prefer side mounts, for my personally on the gas tube or rear sights is hard to adjust to...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast