Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IF...Intermittant Fasting

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

IF...Intermittant Fasting

Specifically, I saw a Facebook ad from "Kinobody", where he says "Skip breakfast". I thought it was BS, but I did a quick internet search on it, and there is some science to back it, in some cases.

For me personally, my issue with calories is that I'm awake a good bit of time, and I tend to over-eat due to time, not necessarily portions. If I were to "begin my day at lunch", food-wise, that would eliminate that. I have not read ANY studies which show a detriment to skipping breakfast for an adult.

Thoughts from those who know better than me, on this one?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am a big believer in fasting; it works for me specifically. Have done meal skipping and whole day fasting. My notion of fasting includes water or zero cal. Powerade.

Skip breakfast regularly when healthy. Currently recovering from back surgery and having trouble keeping weight on so eat whenever I feel like it.

Fasting will take getting used to mentally and physically, but it can be part of a healthy lifestyle.

First, you have to break the cycle of eating when "bored."

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Curious what research you're referring to that shows a direct benefit? To my knowledge there is none. I'm not saying that it's bad, per se, so if that works for your lifestyle and it helps you to eat the right quantities, then go for it.

There is some research that shows a benefit to having protein every 4-6 hours from a muscle protein synthesis standpoint, so I would say to at least have a protein shake in the morning.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Curious what research you're referring to that shows a direct benefit? To my knowledge there is none. I'm not saying that it's bad, per se, so if that works for your lifestyle and it helps you to eat the right quantities, then go for it.

There is some research that shows a benefit to having protein every 4-6 hours from a muscle protein synthesis standpoint, so I would say to at least have a protein shake in the morning.
    http://www.strongerbyscience.com/int...fasting-study/
    ^Directly shows results from the kind of fasting I am considering:basically skip breakfast.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    I am a big believer in fasting; it works for me specifically. Have done meal skipping and whole day fasting. My notion of fasting includes water or zero cal. Powerade.

Skip breakfast regularly when healthy. Currently recovering from back surgery and having trouble keeping weight on so eat whenever I feel like it.

Fasting will take getting used to mentally and physically, but it can be part of a healthy lifestyle.

How will I find meaning, then?

*Seriously, it's an issue with me, this boredeating.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    How will I find meaning, then?

*Seriously, it's an issue with me, this boredeating.
    Keep busy. It will be hard the first week.

Been IFing for 7 years now and don't plan on ever stopping. Some people can do it and others just can't.

I've done it a few different ways but over the last few years I've just done 20h fast and 4h window. I eat a lot and would put some people to shame...haha

One thing I do is add in BCAAs around training(mornings) and somewhere in the middle of the day. Just plain old unflavored 4:1:1 BCAA powder.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post
    Keep busy. It will be hard the first week.

Been IFing for 7 years now and don't plan on ever stopping. Some people can do it and others just can't.

I've done it a few different ways but over the last few years I've just done 20h fast and 4h window. I eat a lot and would put some people to shame...haha

One thing I do is add in BCAAs around training(mornings) and somewhere in the middle of the day. Just plain old unflavored 4:1:1 BCAA powder.
    Link to said product?
    I did IF tonight. My work-out went well, and I feel fine. I have not consumed as much food as previous. This is the goal. I am happy as of current.

Boredom is not much of an issue for me, as I don't "feel" bored, but food is something I do like. So that's my struggle.

Feedback Score

IF...Intermittant Fasting

Google the book "Eat Stop Eat". It's a short and easy read. Also, I am a fan of Dr Axe's website. https://draxe.com/intermittent-fasting-benefits/.

IF takes getting used to, but if you can get a routine down, it helps.

Seems funny that Paleo/Caveman diet advocates so many meals per day. Cavemen didn't have food available all the time. They gorged when food was found or available, and long periods between meals was the norm until we became farmers...same with most carnivores.

While fasting, lots of water and herbal tea and club soda or sparkling water help. Try adding lemon/lime in water to help.

One thing that helps me is raw vegetables around 14-16 hour point. A sandwich bag of raw celery, carrot, spinach, green beans, can break your fast without adding lots of calories, and help you go another few hours.

I avoid caffeine and chemicals as much as possible...I.e. diet soda, diet Gatorade, etc. They make me feel lousy without food, so I don't drink them at all. I do have a 9-12 oz black coffee in morning (I make coffee at home with good beans and reverse osmosis water), or a tall green tea, as I haven't totally kicked caffeine, but more than that and I won't hold my fast.
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 04-03-17 at 08:00.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post

IF is interesting but data far from conclusive and or contradictory. For example:

Skipping breakfast may lead to weight gain in men

Japanese men who reported skipping breakfast at least 4 days per week experienced greater increase in BMI over 5 years compared with men who reported eating breakfast every day, according to published findings.

“Recently, unhealthy dietary habits related to chrononutrition, such as skipping breakfast, timing of meals, speed of eating and the order of food consumption during a meal, are reportedly associated with metabolic abnormalities,” Masaru Sakurai, MD, PhD, of the department of social and environmental medicine at Kanazawa Medical University in Ishikawa, Japan, and colleagues wrote. “Skipping breakfast has been associated with a lack of feeding satiety, postprandial hyperinsulinemia, expression of the biological clock gene and circadian rhythms of glucose metabolism, which may cause body weight gain.

Cont:

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology/...t=852809511235
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    IF is interesting but data far from conclusive and or contradictory. For example:

Skipping breakfast may lead to weight gain in men

Japanese men who reported skipping breakfast at least 4 days per week experienced greater increase in BMI over 5 years compared with men who reported eating breakfast every day, according to published findings.

“Recently, unhealthy dietary habits related to chrononutrition, such as skipping breakfast, timing of meals, speed of eating and the order of food consumption during a meal, are reportedly associated with metabolic abnormalities,” Masaru Sakurai, MD, PhD, of the department of social and environmental medicine at Kanazawa Medical University in Ishikawa, Japan, and colleagues wrote. “Skipping breakfast has been associated with a lack of feeding satiety, postprandial hyperinsulinemia, expression of the biological clock gene and circadian rhythms of glucose metabolism, which may cause body weight gain.

Cont:

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology/...t=852809511235
    The thing is, these are circumstantial if they don't control for lifestyle. Those who skip breakfast likely had less healthy habits, because society as a whole has been browbeaten into thinking breakfast is healthy, so those who eat it, are more likely to also do "healthy things", like work out, sleep correctly, etc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast