Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IF...Intermittant Fasting

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The thing is, these are circumstantial if they don't control for lifestyle. Those who skip breakfast likely had less healthy habits, because society as a whole has been browbeaten into thinking breakfast is healthy, so those who eat it, are more likely to also do "healthy things", like work out, sleep correctly, etc.
    There's quite a bit of data suggesting breakfast is healthy and most of the IF data fails to also control for all the variables. Hence, jury is still out in my view.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Fasting is nothing new, and has been incorporated into human activity from the beginning of civilization. Most major religions incorporate fasting in one form or another, albeit many have been watered down over time. I get that IF, as a modern phenomenon, has many variables because there are endless variables to what someone eats when not on their fast. Many think IF is some miracle stuff where they can eat anything and to an unlimited quantity during their 4-6 hour window. Eat a couple bacon cheese burgers, a mound of fries, ice cream, pizza, chips, donuts, etc., just because they stopped eating for 16-20 hours. Personally, I don't buy that version.

When I incorporate IF into my personal daily ritual, like I am currently doing, I always cut down on caffeine intake, eliminate most sugars (I continue to eat honey and real maple syrup sparingly), almost all processed foods, alcohol, and almost all animal proteins. I eat from 1400 - 1800 daily, and my meals consist of all forms of fruits and vegetables, both cooked and raw, as well as lots of rice, potatoes, lentils, beans, and nuts. First several days suck bad, but by the end of day 4-5, I've calmed down my sugar and caffine withdrawals and my current goal is 60 days like this to finally break my sweet tooth.

I can tell you this much, by day 3, my arthritic joints ache less, I have more energy throughout the day, my skin looks better, and I am back to sleeping soundly for 7-8 hours per night without waking up.

As far as missing breakfast goes, I don't think breakfast, as a concept, is the same today as it was pre-WWII and beyond, both here in the US and in most of the rest of the world, when there were a lot fewer obese people. Breakfast used to be a cup of tea or coffee and maybe a chunk of bread and butter/cheese, a piece of fruit, or a bowl of some grain (oats/rice/etc.), and then off to the fields, pastures, woods, or worksite. Lunch would likely be a pack meal with seasonal/available vegetables, dried meat, some starch, and tea eaten somewhere in the middle of the workday, often in the field or woods. The big meal of the day was almost always eaten at the end of the day, over conversation on the daily happenings. Then it was off to bed to let the meal digest and rest for the next day.

Our current reality of endless streams of food, much of it chemically laden, artificially sweetened and colored, genetically modified, pumped full of growth hormones and antibiotics, and over processed, is nothing remotely similar to the vast majority of our history. And I don't give a dang who says what, I now believe todays levels of cancer, heart disease, autism, ADD, anxiety, yada/yada/yada is caused by the crap most of us put on our plates, in our bellies, and call food.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Link to said product?
    I did IF tonight. My work-out went well, and I feel fine. I have not consumed as much food as previous. This is the goal. I am happy as of current.

Boredom is not much of an issue for me, as I don't "feel" bored, but food is something I do like. So that's my struggle.
    This is what I've been using. I think it helps hold some muscle since I stay pretty lean especially in the summer. Recovery as well. At the same time it's probably not worth it.
    https://www.musclefeast.com/products...nt=23663193025

Look into leangains as well. Don't think he is as active as he used to be.
    http://www.leangains.com/

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    There's quite a bit of data suggesting breakfast is healthy and most of the IF data fails to also control for all the variables. Hence, jury is still out in my view.
    I would agree in that eating breakfast may be good for some, but there are also plenty of healthy people that skip it. However, I usually try to put a caveat in my statements that show my routine/lifestyle works for me, but it may not work for anyone else. Which is precisely the case for any eating habit one proscribes to.

The only way to know if any eating habit will work for someone is to give it a serious try. Same with a particular exercise.

I skip meals and fast(when healthy) regularly. Chronic pain makes maintaining my weight hard but in the keeping it on sense. No pain meds means no appetite which makes it hard to put on weight.

When I eventually stabilize, I'll go back to meal skipping and fasting.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    As far as missing breakfast goes, I don't think breakfast, as a concept, is the same today as it was pre-WWII and beyond, both here in the US and in most of the rest of the world, when there were a lot fewer obese people. Breakfast used to be a cup of tea or coffee and maybe a chunk of bread and butter/cheese, a piece of fruit, or a bowl of some grain (oats/rice/etc.), and then off to the fields, pastures, woods, or worksite. Lunch would likely be a pack meal with seasonal/available vegetables, dried meat, some starch, and tea eaten somewhere in the middle of the workday, often in the field or woods. The big meal of the day was almost always eaten at the end of the day, over conversation on the daily happenings. Then it was off to bed to let the meal digest and rest for the next day.
    Both of my parents came from the farm; my dad, a dairy farm in northern Wisconsin, my mom a hog and tobacco farm in eastern North Carolina. They said that they (farmers) would eat a large breakfast, nothing/almost nothing at lunch, and a big dinner. The work was more physical than it is today.

Feedback Score

IF...Intermittant Fasting

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Both of my parents came from the farm; my dad, a dairy farm in northern Wisconsin, my mom a hog and tobacco farm in eastern North Carolina. They said that they (farmers) would eat a large breakfast, nothing/almost nothing at lunch, and a big dinner. The work was more physical than it is today.
    Okay, but my point was more about
    The evolution of eating from the early/Middle Ages through the 2d WW war.

But dairy farmers I know from NH and NY didn't get up and eat breakfast first. They put several hours or more of hard work behind them bringing in cows, milking, feeding, watering, cleaning up, etc. prior to settling down to breakfast. And they too didn't eat until after evening milking was done and cows were "put to bed"

And all the farmers and ranchers I knew lived off black coffee, Red Man or Copenhagen dip, and hard candy during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I am doing intermittent fasting. Mostly eating every other day. Some times I go longer, some times I go shorter. I have done a few fasts of 4 or 5 days. Either way I have lost about 70 lbs in 3.5 months. Have also been doing strength training. There is a man named Dr fung who has been doing research with good results. I can't argue with my results

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    My grandparents grew up on a farm. They are in their 80s, and my grandma could walk 5 miles, right this second, if she had to. She looks 60s. My grandpa is less healthy as he has not watched his weight the best (think beer gut strongman, not Michelin man), but he is still very strong for his age and very able for 80s. Both are mentally sharp as a tack and still drive and fly all over the world and us. They love to travel.

They eat twice a day. Breakfast and supper. Lunch is a light whatever, except on Saturdays, their church day, where breakfast and lunch are inverse.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    I am doing intermittent fasting. Mostly eating every other day. Some times I go longer, some times I go shorter. I have done a few fasts of 4 or 5 days. Either way I have lost about 70 lbs in 3.5 months. Have also been doing strength training. There is a man named Dr fung who has been doing research with good results. I can't argue with my results
    Did you track your body comp changes? That is lean mass to body fat? Two, getting the weight off is not the difficult part, keeping it off is. Statistically speaking, few keep the weight off, and that's what the long term strategy has to be.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Did you track your body comp changes? That is lean mass to body fat? Two, getting the weight off is not the difficult part, keeping it off is. Statistically speaking, few keep the weight off, and that's what the long term strategy has to be.
    I am not relating myself to the poster you quoted, but..

When I was in college, I went from 16% to 10% body fat. 195# to 173#. My lifts went up significantly. I kept that 10-12% for about 5 years, until I decided to start bulking. I have slowly bulked up to about 200#, as of now. I am unsure of my body-fat %, though. My lifts are significantly better. I am just wanting to get shredded again. I am 5'10.5" and wear size 34 pants, and manage to squeak into the 1000# club for lifts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast