Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IF...Intermittant Fasting

Feedback Score
    I have tried fasting.....maybe once a week for 24 hrs. No consistency as my work schedule varies and I fear the danger involved when at work (flying as a pilot). I do it at home on my days off, once a week. Usually I will have dinner and then wait until dinner the next evening.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Did you track your body comp changes? That is lean mass to body fat? Two, getting the weight off is not the difficult part, keeping it off is. Statistically speaking, few keep the weight off, and that's what the long term strategy has to be.
    No I did not, but I can guarantee that it is not lean mass as it is obvious that both my strength and muscle mass are increasing

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    No I did not, but I can guarantee that it is not lean mass as it is obvious that both my strength and muscle mass are increasing

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk
    I won't say it's impossible, but it's pretty close to impossible to JUST lose fat mass when at a calorie deficit and cutting weight. 70lbs in 3.5 months is about 5 lbs dropped per week. At that rate of weight loss, I can say with certainty that lean mass loss is a given. Whether you increased strength is a different matter and probably has more to do with your training history and current programming. As Will said, the challenge is keeping it off, so good luck and hope you find something sustainable for the long haul.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 04-06-17 at 00:04.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    WS6,

Thanks for the link to the study. I looked it over (not just the abstract) and it seemed like a decent study that had pretty good controls and matching the population samples. There's a couple things that I question, but I'll just leave it at that.

Like I said before, if IF works for you and you are eating the right quantities (and quality) of foods, then rock on with it. It's definitely not for me and my preferences though. I just wouldn't go into it thinking that it has some health advantage over "normal" protocols. It really just comes down to preference.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    WS6,

Thanks for the link to the study. I looked it over (not just the abstract) and it seemed like a decent study that had pretty good controls and matching the population samples. There's a couple things that I question, but I'll just leave it at that.

Like I said before, if IF works for you and you are eating the right quantities (and quality) of foods, then rock on with it. It's definitely not for me and my preferences though. I just wouldn't go into it thinking that it has some health advantage over "normal" protocols. It really just comes down to preference.
    I am trying it. So far, 2 days in, I'm pleased. Leg day yesterday went well, and chest day today did as well. I'm an hitting HIIT hard and maintaining stamina, and I benched 285 with no help, and 295 with a tiny pull from the spotter. I needed more help to hit 295 last month, so I'm not losing strength or stamina because I did not eat before lifting. That was my greatest fear.. now granted I've only done 2 days of this, and the effects on stamina may well be cumulative, so I'm not saying it works or not for me, just that so far so good.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Okay, but my point was more about
    The evolution of eating from the early/Middle Ages through the 2d WW war.

But dairy farmers I know from NH and NY didn't get up and eat breakfast first. They put several hours or more of hard work behind them bringing in cows, milking, feeding, watering, cleaning up, etc. prior to settling down to breakfast. And they too didn't eat until after evening milking was done and cows were "put to bed"

And all the farmers and ranchers I knew lived off black coffee, Red Man or Copenhagen dip, and hard candy during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair enough but you made a generalization that wasn't true. I was merely pointing out the exception.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I am trying it. So far, 2 days in, I'm pleased. Leg day yesterday went well, and chest day today did as well. I'm an hitting HIIT hard and maintaining stamina, and I benched 285 with no help, and 295 with a tiny pull from the spotter. I needed more help to hit 295 last month, so I'm not losing strength or stamina because I did not eat before lifting. That was my greatest fear.. now granted I've only done 2 days of this, and the effects on stamina may well be cumulative, so I'm not saying it works or not for me, just that so far so good.
    How long are you fasting?

Lifting fasted?

Not long after I got into it did I realize it was exactly what I needed. Just feel better through the day. More energy, focus, and more productive.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My take on IF with link to good review:

http://www.brinkzone.com/nutritional...seudo-science/

Examine did a good job on objective examination of IF with more recent data:

https://examine.com/nutrition/the-lo...gn=blog-040617
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I didn't get into IF to loose weight. My brother was doing it at the time and I had seen where others were so I tried and never looked back.

Now unfortunately I didn't have any numbers before IF but my cholesterol numbers are pretty good. Does it have anything to do with IF...I have no idea. My dad has/had high cholesterol. These are the 2 years I have though it seems like I had it tested before that. I started in 2010.

Total Cholesterol - 171

LDL - 82

HDL - 80

Total Cholesterol - 144

LDL - 59.8

HDL - 79

Can't say I really did anything different between these years other than I was having a couple beers more often than in the past. Will probably get a test done this year again.
    Last edited by Double3; 04-06-17 at 14:18.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post
    How long are you fasting?

Lifting fasted?

Not long after I got into it did I realize it was exactly what I needed. Just feel better through the day. More energy, focus, and more productive.
    I just fast until midnight. For you daywalkers, that's noon. I stop eating no later than 8am.

I am lifting, and lifting heavy, and doing fine. It's only been a few days though, and that may cause an issue in time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast