Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Colt 6951 doesn't go bang!

Feedback Score

New Colt 6951 doesn't go bang!

Finally got the new Colt 6951 9mm AR-15 to the range the other day. Long story short, I loaded it up, pulled the trigger, and CLICK. Nada.

Ejected the round, and had a light primer strike. Figured cheap ammo, and chambered a new round. CLICK. Nada.

Ejected and same story.

Knowing what I know about Colt's record with this gun, I assumed the barrel nut was loose. Got my armorer's wrench and it was cranked down to at least 35 ft. lbs. It didn't budge.

I've cleaned out the BCG and firing pin channel. Looks like I'm getting about .06" of firing pin protrusion. What should I be expecting from this gun?

Any other places to troubleshoot? I'd rather not deal with shipping back to Connecticut for repairs since I'm in the middle of a move then out of the country for a bit. I'd just hate to wait until May to get it fixed.

Thoughts? Resources for troubleshooting a 9mm AR?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is the Colt a complete factory build or just upper and what brand of ammo ??

Feedback Score
    Complete factory build. 2013 configuration. Was shooting Remington UMC. Will try other brands of ammo on my next range trip as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The first place I would look is at the hammer spring. Does it appear to be installed in the lower properly? Maybe someone on the assembly line was having a bad day.

0.060" should be plenty of firing pin protrusion to ignite a pistol primer. Are the light primer strikes centered on the primer?
    Last edited by T2C; 04-03-17 at 10:02.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    The first place I would look is at the hammer spring. Does it appear to be installed in the lower properly? Maybe someone on the assembly line was having a bad day.

0.060" should be plenty of firing pin protrusion to ignite a pistol primer. Are the light primer strikes centered on the primer?
    Hammer spring appears to be installed properly. Primer strikes are indeed in the center of primer.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Check the chamber. Make sure there is no lube or anything else that would prevent the round from fully seating. What happens is that if the round is almost fully seated and the firing pin hits the primer, it pushes the round the rest of the way into the chamber before fully compressing the primer enough to go off.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Do you own a 9mm pistol? If so, try firing some of the same ammo in it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Do you own a 9mm pistol? If so, try firing some of the same ammo in it.
    Of course! Ran five boxes through my G43 without a single hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Check the chamber. Make sure there is no lube or anything else that would prevent the round from fully seating. What happens is that if the round is almost fully seated and the firing pin hits the primer, it pushes the round the rest of the way into the chamber before fully compressing the primer enough to go off.
    Ding ding ding! I think we have our winner!

Cleaned up the chamber on your advice and took the pony out to the range. Ran 150 rounds through it using some Blazer Brass 124 grain and the Remington UMC 115 grain.

Now that it's up and running, it's running smooth. No hiccups at all but damn, that's a dirty shooting gun!

Thanks for the help. I'm a big fan of this gun!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    This place rocks! Great to hear your gun is up and running. It's also good info to have in my brain housing unit!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Sure does! If it weren't for this place I would have already sent it back! Thanks to all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast