Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY LE question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

NY LE question

Ok, so if this is the wrong place, I apologize, but I've searched quite a bit with no luck. I guess because it's sort of specific.
    So I am a PO in NY, Long Island to be more specific, and I can't seem to get a definite answer from anyone. Are sworn officers still allowed to have AR Pistols in NY? I know all the SAFE act nonsense made it extremely difficult for civilians to own them, but since LE is exempt from most of that, is it still possible to own them as a PO? Any help would be awesome, and if this is the wrong place to post this, again, I apologize. Thanks.
    -Rob

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Can you post a link to the law? What's it say about pistols and mag capacity?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    You may want to reach out to one of the mods here named Mongo. He would likely be able to assist, based on his location and line of work.

And he's a good fellow as well.

Feedback Score
    Regular folk can have AR pistols, as long as the mag is fixed which makes it not an assault weapon. They need to be on our permit tho. Police and peace officers are exempt from the SAFE Act, which means standard cap mags and evil features. You should be GTG with the pistol, not sure if you'd have to put it on your shield or permit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You may want to reach out to one of the mods here named Mongo. He would likely be able to assist, based on his location and line of work.

And he's a good fellow as well.
    Great, thank you! May have to do this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsta750 View Post
    Regular folk can have AR pistols, as long as the mag is fixed which makes it not an assault weapon. They need to be on our permit tho. Police and peace officers are exempt from the SAFE Act, which means standard cap mags and evil features. You should be GTG with the pistol, not sure if you'd have to put it on your shield or permit.
    This was my thought as well, in theory, I should be fine, I'm just trying to get confirmation from someone who's actually done it haha. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Double check the weight limit though. IIRC it's like 65 oz for pistols unless the SAFE act did away with that nonsense.

I registered a lower as a pistol for I moved to Virginia but I had to pet it on my then NY permit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Double check the weight limit though. IIRC it's like 65 oz for pistols unless the SAFE act did away with that nonsense.

I registered a lower as a pistol for I moved to Virginia but I had to pet it on my then NY permit.
    As LE, I would be exempt from that, but I do believe it's still in effect, but I think the weight is like 50 oz! A buddy of mine got a Deagle, and the ffl couldn't release it to him because it was something like .75 oz too heavy :/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsthestig View Post
    As LE, I would be exempt from that, but I do believe it's still in effect, but I think the weight is like 50 oz! A buddy of mine got a Deagle, and the ffl couldn't release it to him because it was something like .75 oz too heavy :/
    That's when you bust out the dremel and do some weight reduction.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsthestig View Post
    That's a dick of an FFL.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast