Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing pin block or lightweight FP for carry?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Firing pin block or lightweight FP for carry?

Title says it all. I am considering a lightweight commander in 9mm for carry. Is the titanium FP as safe as a FP block [like Colt]?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have always heard that lightening any ignition components could impact reliability.

Look at it this way, you have a block mass being accelerated. Keep the acceleration the same, but lower the mass, you result in less energy. Throw a baseball, and throw a leaf (okay, drastic example... A marble?). Air resistence is in your firing pin channel too, same with the metal contact points.

Physical frictions can be a real bastard.

Now, I don't own, or have ever owned a 1911. I don't use titanium anything, because I haven't found the need for the tradeoff of potential energy reduction resulting in a light primer strike.

So, to say the least, YMMV

I am barely edumuhcated. So, if my physics theory application is off, please feel free to scold me. Haha.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-04-17 at 10:36.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My $02 is, firing pin block is better. Ti FP's are at their least best when used in an inertia FP application like the 1911.

On the other hand all those Springfields with Ti FP's and extra, extra power FP springs do not have a rep for misfires as I thought they surely would.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    My $02 is, firing pin block is better. Ti FP's are at their least best when used in an inertia FP application like the 1911.

On the other hand all those Springfields with Ti FP's and extra, extra power FP springs do not have a rep for misfires as I thought they surely would.
    Thank you Sir, coming from you that is a big help. I currently have a full size Colt which I like very much.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I personally feel neither are needed. The higher end 1911s are all 70 series guns. I don't want to come off the wrong way, but if you're that concerned about needing a firing pin block or light weight firing pin, are your weapons handling skills at a level to safely carry a cocked and locked 1911. I've seen way more dumb shit happen with revolvers and double action pistols than 1911s. In fact, I don't know anyone who has had an ND with a 1911. However, I know a couple LEOs who shot themselves in the leg, one with an M92 and one with a 686. The best safety is between your ears.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    2nd this^^.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by capt46wfd View Post
    I personally feel neither are needed. The higher end 1911s are all 70 series guns. I don't want to come off the wrong way, but if you're that concerned about needing a firing pin block or light weight firing pin, are your weapons handling skills at a level to safely carry a cocked and locked 1911. I've seen way more dumb shit happen with revolvers and double action pistols than 1911s. In fact, I don't know anyone who has had an ND with a 1911. However, I know a couple LEOs who shot themselves in the leg, one with an M92 and one with a 686. The best safety is between your ears.
    Those of us who carry a firearm carry it as insurance we hope we'll never need. I look at a FB in the same way. Both of the weapons you mentioned had a FB of some fashion, if one is going to pull the trigger all the way loud noises are expected.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used to be anti FPB, but now after doing a good trigger job "with" the series 80 parts in place
    I have changed my view. I see it as a plus.
    Glock 19 Gen 5
    Colt Combat Commander

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Wayne Dobbs can give a great explanation of the merits of Series 80 style guns over Series 70.

Bottom line, firing pin block safety prevent discharges due to drops. Accidents happen. It has nothing to do with competence.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Series 80 all day long. Every other fighting pistol has a firing pin safety but for some reason it's blasphemy on the 1911. It doesn't affect trigger pull like some would have you believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast