Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is an NFA Trust still the way to go?

Feedback Score

Is an NFA Trust still the way to go?

Everything I knew about the NFA is out the window with last year's changes. Now that I'm 100% confident that I will be staying in a free state for the foreseeable future, I would like to get the ball rolling on suppressor and SBR ownership.

Right now, the trust would be for just two people, myself and my girlfriend at the same residence which we just purchased. Future father-in-law may be added eventually.

I'm looking at building an SBR and purchasing three suppressors eventually.

I'm trying to understand that with the changes made last year, trusts are no longer the clear winner, but I'm assuming we will still see advantages. My understanding is that we would need both sets of fingerprints each time we purchase something and need to inform the CLEO.

Am I missing anything else? Is it still the best way to go for NFA ownership?

Feedback Score
    You trust your girlfriend a lot more than I trust either of mine. On a more serious note, maybe read up a little on SilencerShop's Single Shot Trust Promotion and see if their info page about it helps give you some clarity on your decision.

Feedback Score

Is an NFA Trust still the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post
    You trust your girlfriend a lot more than I trust either of mine. On a more serious note, maybe read up a little on SilencerShop's Single Shot Trust Promotion and see if their info page about it helps give you some clarity on your decision.
    I've taken a quick look at that and it seems logical if you're only looking for a suppressor or two. However the fact that I'm looking to build an SBR as well, it doesn't seem ideal for me right now.

As far as the girlfriend goes, we've bought a house together and we're committed to marry one day. We opted for the key ring before the engagement ring for financial reasons. But as far as we're concerned, we're "'til death do us part" in every way except the legal way.
    Last edited by Candyman87; 04-14-17 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally, I'd keep your girlfriend off the trust. You can always add her at a later date if need be, like if she ever becomes your wife. Better yet, if she shoots, have her get her own stuff.
    For now, I'd fly solo. She can still use your NFA stuff while in your presence.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    I'm tempted to do this as well. She's a shooter and has her own guns but no REAL interest in NFA. I'm sure she'll change her mind after shooting something suppressed!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As of right now, you need to buy your stuff as an individual.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    If you put her in your trust as a trustee, should you separate, what's her's is her's, and what's your's is her's. Never underestimate the vindictiveness of a woman scorned. You can always add her later and technically you can always remove her but a good lawyer will argue that the property will have to be disposed of or you will have to buy her out. Think about the nightmare of disposing of the house if you split.

Single shot trusts are nice because each NFA item is a separate entity and according to silencershop promo material the items become easier to dispose of. I probably would have done single shot trusts had the idea been around when I started. This also lets you share single items as opposed to your entire collection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    As of right now, you need to buy your stuff as an individual.
    Why? Legal reason or personal opinion?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post
    Either?? My hero.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Candyman87 View Post
    Why? Legal reason or personal opinion?
    Likely because he doesn't already have a trust.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast