Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on starting semi-auto collection

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Seeking advice on starting semi-auto collection

I've been deeply embroiled in ARs, modern pistols, and modern bolt action rifles for years, but I'm considering starting a gun collection based on my interests, specifically post-WWII semi-autos. Sadly, I only own one semi-auto that's not a 10/22 or an AR- an original and pristine Russian SKS from 1954.

If one were to begin a collection, where should I start, i.e., what would be a good top 10 (or 10+) list with a hypothetical initial investment of, say $50K?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    FAL
    G3
    AK (period correct)
    M14

Sig 220 9mm heel release
    Sig 210
    Beretta 92s
    HK P7 and variants

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Are looking semi auto rifle or pistols, or both?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    Are looking semi auto rifle or pistols, or both?

I'm thinking rifles for now. Even newer models that may no longer be imported or likely to cease importation.
    Last edited by Warg; 04-06-17 at 10:27.

Feedback Score
    Fifty big ones is a lot of money. Don't be tempted to blow any of it on the "cool" factor unless it's something really worthy, like a collectible firearm with vetted provenance for example.

--Don't buy used unless it's a rare or uncommon surplus item, like a Rashid rifle for example. I have wasted more money than I care to contemplate on used firearms that were suffering from major issues that the former owner didn't want to fix.
    --Do your research on what constitutes a good investment on a particular make and model of firearm. For example, if you want the civilian version of the M-14, do your research as to which ones are considered quality builds, and which ones are slapped together junk. This may take you a while to really dig into which ones were built with quality components and which ones are simply glorified range toys.
    --Don't buy sight unseen if you don't have to, unless it's from a dealer with a sterling reputation
    --Find out what you are truly interested in. It does no good to buy a firearm just because it's "collectible". What an item is worth is often a subject of much debate. If you just have to have an East German Makarov, buy it because you like Makarovs, not just because someone told you it's "cool" to have one or that it will be worth a lot of money someday. Some people collect nothing but German Lugers because they love the weapon. Others collect pre-ban AK's because they love AK's. Don't collect something on the hope it will vastly increase in value (a lot of guns will but many won't). Collect guns based on your interests.
    --If you are a shooter, plan on buying firearms that you can actually find ammo, magazines, and accessories for. I remember a collector who bought a Tokarev rifle, only to find it needed a replacement part he couldn't find.

Hope this helps.
    --

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warg View Post
    I'm thinking rifles for now. Even newer models that may no longer be imported or likely to cease importation.

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    FAL
    G3
    AK (period correct)
    M14

Are you looking for military rifles or civilian or both?

Anyway what I posted above plus

MAS 49/56
    Hakim rifle 8mm Mauser.
    FN49
    BM59
    Sig 510

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Very helpful Doc. I'd definitely want to shoot these and have no real expectations on vast increases in value and would not want blow the whole wad just because. I enjoy shooting firearms of all types with different manuals of arms and appreciate pieces that have particular relevance to innovations in design and history.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    👆I will second what he said. Now there are a few stand by collector guns like Garands and pre ban stuff. Step one would be what type of semi autos you want. Do you want military style rifles, or hunting/sporting type rifles. Most guys go with the the military style stuff due ease of getting parts and ammo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Are you looking for military rifles or civilian or both?

Anyway what I posted above plus

MAS 49/56
    Hakim rifle 8mm Mauser.
    FN49
    BM59
    Sig 510

Thanks for the suggestions. I initially replied "both" but I probably prefer military pieces or civie versions thereof. I guess I have P7M8 that's worthy of hanging onto given it's condition (Sterling VA stamp with original manual, box, fired case, etc), but again primarily interested in long guns.
    Last edited by Warg; 04-06-17 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FAL
    G3
    AK (period correct)
    M14

Sig 220 9mm heel release
    Sig 210
    Beretta 92s
    HK P7 and variants

I would second this and I would add some other 5.56 rifles to the list given your desire to focus on rifles despite them not being in the immediate post war period as it is a bit of a golden era for buying some of this stuff.

FNC
    AUG
    Galil
    Scar

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast