Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbine Vs Middy

Feedback Score

Carbine Vs Middy

Long time sporadic reader here. All my "serious" carbines are, well, carbines. They are older, proven, guns that I've upgraded optics, lights, and doodads. More recent middy purchases were either bought on speculation (I know, but it served me mighty well in 2008) or bought as range or truck guns.

I know the realities of the 2 systems, but my question is: Is the gentler operation really worth trading up from 6920/6720s, DDM4, BCM, and LMTs just for mid length gas? I don't have to have the hot new gear all the time.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    If I was buying new, I'd go mid. If you are happy with the carbines, I don't think you need to swap.

Maybe set up 2 rifles (1 each) similarly and shoot drills on a timer. If your middy scores are consistently substantially better with one, I'd go with that system.

If not, I'd rock on as is.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinius View Post
    Long time sporadic reader here. All my "serious" carbines are, well, carbines. They are older, proven, guns that I've upgraded optics, lights, and doodads. More recent middy purchases were either bought on speculation (I know, but it served me mighty well in 2008) or bought as range or truck guns.

I know the realities of the 2 systems, but my question is: Is the gentler operation really worth trading up from 6920/6720s, DDM4, BCM, and LMTs just for mid length gas? I don't have to have the hot new gear all the time.

Thanks!
    No, I doubt you will notice the difference between the two. You will notice a bigger difference by changing buffer weight, springs and the ammo you shoot. A carbine length gas system with the correct gas port size will serve 99% of people just fine.

There is a mechanical advantage in a middy gas system where smoother operation can have less wear and tear on the gun but from a shooters perspective the difference is negligible. Shoot your carbine gas guns till you kill the barrel then replace them with midlengths. No need to dump reliable guns for the latest and greatest. Focus on putting meaningful rounds downrange.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    the guys above summed it up nicely.

i own both and haven't noticed much difference, particularly when shooting guns of different weight and design (ie: when having different parts/accessories like buffer weights, recoil springs, adjustable gas blocks, suppressors, etc). that said, i'm not a "competitor" so not as finicky as serious match shooters.

if split times are important to you, then consider it. OTOH, if you like what you have and it works for you, why bother.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    No, I doubt you will notice the difference between the two. You will notice a bigger difference by changing buffer weight, springs and the ammo you shoot. A carbine length gas system with the correct gas port size will serve 99% of people just fine.

There is a mechanical advantage in a middy gas system where smoother operation can have less wear and tear on the gun but from a shooters perspective the difference is negligible. Shoot your carbine gas guns till you kill the barrel then replace them with midlengths. No need to dump reliable guns for the latest and greatest. Focus on putting meaningful rounds downrange.
    I agree with this, and I honestly can not tell a difference in shooting my Colt 6920 and my BCM midlength.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like others have mentioned properly regulated carbine or middy, all things being equal, feel pretty close to each other. I will say though, that I feel a middy, if we are going to stick to a FSB is nicer and more controllable, for the simple reason I can get my hand out 2 more inches. With long rails, I don't think you would call the difference. That said, going from an over gassed Bushy carbine length rifle with a carbine buffer, to a brand new BCM middy with an H buffer, Hoolllyyy Sshhhiiiittt!! Talk about a difference.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't trade up, but I would never put a carbine length gas system on a 14.5 or 16 inch rifle that I was putting together (building).

Feedback Score
    I think the buffer system is the big difference here. My 6920 with an H2 buffer has much sharper recoil than my mid guns with A5 systems.

There's a small difference between mid and carbine systems, but the buffers make it more obvious.
    Last edited by 1911-A1; 04-06-17 at 16:58.

Feedback Score
    Supposedly midlength gas systems batter the BCG's less than carbine gas, to the point that you may get a bolt in a midlength to last thousands of rounds longer than one in a carbine, BUT, midlengths are more finicky with ammo, preferring full power 5.56, and IMHO the battering of the BCG can be somewhat midigated in a carbine by shooting mostly commercial .223. I don't have hard data to support this, but I believe it to be true. Carbines are also more reliable over a wide range of ammo power levels.

Ultimately, I thnk most people prefer a mid simply because it gives the barrel more real estate for rail-mounted accessories. People claim midlengths recoil less than a carbine, but we are talking a soft-shooting AR to begin with and not a twelve-gauge shotgun that you definitely feel when you touch off a round.

So, you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. I prefer carbines because I'm not a "rail" guy and because Colt didn't make a mid when I bought my AR's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I think the buffer system is the big difference here. My 6920 with an H2 buffer has much sharper recoil than my mid guns with A5 systems.

There's a small difference between mid and carbine systems, but the buffers make it more obvious.
    This is true. Even my old Bushmaster when I swapped the carbine buffer to an H buffer, make a lot of difference there too.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast