Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carbine Vs Middy

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    SPR's also have a significantly larger gas port than a 20" rifle gas to make it run correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    The longer the gas system, the softer the gun shoots (in general). It's somewhat trickier to make it reliable, but an 18" rifle gassed barrel isn't on the bleeding edge of reliability or anything - if it was, SPRs wouldn't be that way.

16" carbine gassed doesn't make much sense. It was an easy way of making it a non-NFA item without making any more new parts than they had to. A lot of people even prefer an intermediate length gas system on a 16" barrel, and some people run rifle gas on them (which is on the bleeding edge of reliability, and will be picky with ammo).

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    In short, i feel like you get more of a good thing from the mid-length.

Long version-My first properly ported 16" mid-length build cycled slightly softer than than my Colt 6920 with an h2 buffer. Adding the A5 system with a green Springco spring to the mid-length made it even more noticeable to the point I've received comments from buddies. It's currently past 3000 rounds without cleaning and isn't remotely picky on ammo. To me, the gap between my mid-length and 6920 is similar to the gap between a dpms or s&w and the 6920. Thus far, it feels like a free lunch. (I might add the A5 system to the 6920 at some point, and that could shorten the divide.) I'm still very happy with the 6920, though. If I'd started with one instead of commercial junk I'd probably just have a few of those and never got into building carbines.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 04-13-17 at 20:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    In short, i feel like you get more of a good thing from the mid-length.

Long version-My first properly ported 16" mid-length build cycled slightly softer than than my Colt 6920 with an h2 buffer. Adding the A5 system with a green Springco spring to the mid-length made it even more noticeable to the point I've received comments from buddies. It's currently past 3000 rounds without cleaning and isn't remotely picky on ammo. To me, the gap between my mid-length and 6920 is similar to the gap between a dpms or s&w and the 6920. Thus far, it feels like a free lunch. (I might add the A5 system to the 6920 at some point, and that could shorten the divide.) I'm still very happy with the 6920, though. If I'd started with one instead of commercial junk I'd probably just have a few of those and never got into building carbines.
    To me a 6920 or a BCM carbine length are the only 16" carbine lengths worth a damn, I always try to stear people away from commercial junk like DPOS when they ask me about buying their first AR. The Colt 6920 is a rock solid choice as a first AR that puts them ahead of most people. My 6920 is my go to HD rifles despite having two other ARs with BCM midlength uppers. But I do prefer midlength as well for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Glock9mm1990; 04-14-17 at 02:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You already have all the technical logic... shooting is my hobby and I enjoy building/upgrading. Mid, imo, on a 14.5+ is an upgrade, I would sell the old parts and upgrade. I did this to the point where all my guns are completely upgraded. I also only own enough that I shoot them all, allows for the most quality over most quantity. Best wishes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234