Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbine Vs Middy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    For several years, I was not on board with the mid-length thing. To me, being old school, a carbine had a carbine gas system. Well, about 7 years ago, did my first build with a mid-length gas system barrel. I do not know why it took me so long. Now, that does not mean that I am opposed to carbine gas system barrels. I certainly have my share of ARs with them. I also have my share of ARs with mid-length gas system barrels. The nice thing about these barrels is that they do run a bit smoother. I can still use a standard carbine buffer assembly (tube, spring, and buffer) and still have a smooth shooting AR. I have an 18" barrel with a mid-length gas system coupled with a BCM A5 Intermediate Buffer System and it is super smooth. I also did a build with a 14.5" mid-length barrel and coupled it with a standard carbine buffer assembly. It was so smooth that the first time I shot it, I could not tell that it cycled the next round. Would I trade up from an AR with a carbine gas system barrel to one with a mid-length gas system barrel? Only if I had a spare AR carbine laying around and I have done this. It was not to get a mid-length gas system barrel, but that particular weapon in general.

All in all, I would recommend building or buying an AR with a mid-length gas system barrel. You will immediately feel the difference.
    For 18" I'd go with rifle gas system rather than midlength. Given that midlength works well on a 14.5" barrel, going to an 18" barrel is a big jump.

Feedback Score
    Playing Devil's Advocate, why is that? There are 16" carbine-length gas systems, after all....

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    For 18" I'd go with rifle gas system rather than midlength. Given that midlength works well on a 14.5" barrel, going to an 18" barrel is a big jump.

Feedback Score
    The longer the gas system, the softer the gun shoots (in general). It's somewhat trickier to make it reliable, but an 18" rifle gassed barrel isn't on the bleeding edge of reliability or anything - if it was, SPRs wouldn't be that way.

16" carbine gassed doesn't make much sense. It was an easy way of making it a non-NFA item without making any more new parts than they had to. A lot of people even prefer an intermediate length gas system on a 16" barrel, and some people run rifle gas on them (which is on the bleeding edge of reliability, and will be picky with ammo).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    At the end of the day, over gassed is over gassed no matter if it's carbine length or extended to mid length gas systems. There are some gains to be had with some mid length systems, but the proper porting for either combination is required for that system.
    +1

I prefer mid, but have no issues with carbines. If your tried and true guns are reliable, stick with them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Whether the smoother recoil impulse is worth it really depends on what you're after. I use to drop a couple shots on a 50 round qualification, using department issue over-gassed carbines. The first time I qualified with my own middy (with a 12" DD rail) I shot a perfect score and my shots were noticeably tighter. Most people would be thrilled shooting a 98; I don't like dropping any shots.

If there's one thing I can say in favor of the middy, it's that Colt is even doing a middy. Who'd have ever thunk that?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP,
    I didn't read all the posts, but I agree with the folks that say a well tuned middy is smoother (less felt recoil) than a well tuned carbine gas rifle in 14.5 or 16". However, there is no reason to change out for a middy barrel if you are happy with the carbines. JMHO

If you get curious buy a middy barrel, gas tube, gas block and what ever kind of rail you need. No need to replace the entire upper. Try an H or H2 buffer with the carbine receiver extension.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Mid-length for sure on a 16 inch barrel, there are no cons, only pros. I have two 16 inch ARs, one carbine, one mid length, both with FSBs; the short handguard/rail length on my carbine gas M4 sucks.

"BUT, midlengths are more finicky with ammo, preferring full power 5.56" - This has not been my expirience. My BCM middie runs PMC and Tulammo .223 just as well as full spec .556.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-14-17 at 06:51.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, maybe 14.5" midlengths are picky (I don't know, I only have one 14.5" midlength and it's 5.45 and has been fine with everything I've fed it, but it's possible 5.56 is), but 16" aren't at all.

Of course, you can drill the gas port on anything to be the softest possible shooting with full power ammo, but right on the bleeding edge of reliability. That's true of both carbine and midlength. I imagine you could do a 16" carbine gassed barrel that didn't function right with low power ammo but worked well with higher power ammo.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If I had carbine's that I was happy with, I really don't see a good reason to sell and trade up.

I had two carbines that I sold, but that was due to California restrictions (both were 14.5" with pinned flash hiders I was running with bullet buttons). I'm running featureless now and have swapped over to 16" uppers. Both of mine are mid lengths (a BCM lightweight and a Spikes GMP dissapator).

The 14.5" carbines were running H buffers and I have not noticed a significant difference in shoot-ability or reliability versus the mid-length. I do like the extra hand-guard length.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 04-08-17 at 10:42.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are happy I doubt you will think the money is worth spending. At the end of the day its still the same .22 cal bullet coming out of the barrel.

If I was spending my own money on a new build though I wouldn't consider a carbine gas system. I had plenty of trouble free time behind my M4, but my mid length has definitely proven itself a real worker and does feel slightly softer. The M4 just felt snappier. Only issues I have EVER had with my mid length was blown primers locking up the action (israeli M193) which is completely the ammo.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast