Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prerequisites when it comes to training classes

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There was a very large SNAFU a few years ago due to some instructors lowering the level of training in advanced classes to meet the level of the lowest common denominator students. Having been in a similar class where the content was lowered because many of the students were unpracticed, I can get behind prereq's 100%. However, they should be performance based.

Most Pistol 1 courses are essentially teaching a student the fundamentals of marksmanship and how not to shoot themselves on the draw. Most pistol 1 students will NEVER practice this again or take another class. If they take the pistol 2 course later...say...in 6 months, and they haven't practiced, they're going to be behind in an advanced class. Therefore, before any advanced class, a student needs to show proficiencya at, not just exposure to, the previous material. Coming full circle then, if you have not taken a pistol 1 or are very well practices, taking Mr. Vickers' entry level class would probably be a good thing.

Also, he is former Army SF (Delta), not Navy.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    26inf, thank you for your response. This is all new uncharted territory to me so I'm trying to navigate it. I live in Montana and vickers has been the only instructor that I could find that comes anywhere close to a driving distance for me. That's why I'm taking another class from him, and this will only be my second formal class ever. I'd been trying to research local guysb around here too. But not knowing who they are, or what a good handgun class should consist of, I'm a little leary. I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck spent.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    This may be helpful - http://www.nrainstructors.org/Search.aspx

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    There was a very large SNAFU a few years ago due to some instructors lowering the level of training in advanced classes to meet the level of the lowest common denominator students. Having been in a similar class where the content was lowered because many of the students were unpracticed, I can get behind prereq's 100%. However, they should be performance based.

Most Pistol 1 courses are essentially teaching a student the fundamentals of marksmanship and how not to shoot themselves on the draw. Most pistol 1 students will NEVER practice this again or take another class. If they take the pistol 2 course later...say...in 6 months, and they haven't practiced, they're going to be behind in an advanced class. Therefore, before any advanced class, a student needs to show proficiencya at, not just exposure to, the previous material. Coming full circle then, if you have not taken a pistol 1 or are very well practices, taking Mr. Vickers' entry level class would probably be a good thing.

The OP already stated he took Vickers 1911 operator class with him last year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post

I damn sure don't want to be the retard slowing everyone up.

I know vickers was delta, the class u was talking about is a former SEAL

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    some classes will have you shoot a qual or provide a time for certain drills.

check out https://mountainguerrilla.wordpress....lment-classes/ . for some classes in OR and ID

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My bad. My reading comprehension sucks in the morning. I would second John "Mosby", but be aware that his classes can be very physically demanding.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    their is a somewhat local guy who I've heard is really. The problem is to get into his handgun 2, you have to take handgun 1 with him.
    I think I found the website. It seems that Handgun two should be a starting point if you show him a fairly recent Vicker's certificate.

The only other comment I would make is that he is apparently able to teach techniques a lot faster than I can.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-07-17 at 17:00.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12