Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prerequisites when it comes to training classes

Feedback Score

Prerequisites when it comes to training classes

I asked this on 1911 forum and thought I'd cross post this here to see if I could get some responses from you guys too.

I'm signed up for an advanced pistol class with vickers next month, and have already taken a 1911 operator class with him last year. Was wanting some further instruction this summer and their is a somewhat local guy who I've heard is really. The problem is to get into his handgun 2, you have to take handgun 1 with him. His handgun 1 consists of
    Grip
    Stance
    Sight alignment
    Sight picture
    Trigger control
    Follow through
    Breathing
    Unloading/Reloading
    Drawing from a holster
    Recoil management
    Malfunctions

I mean pretty basic stuff. Is it normal with instructors to have to wade through the basic stuff to just be able to get to the other stuff, especially if you've already taken advanced classes before? Just from someone else.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Reach out to him and ask if that's a hard and fast rule or will previous instruction from another qualified instructor is sufficient to waive into his level 2 class. If not, a fundamentals class is never a bad thing really.

Feedback Score
    I did. He told me that although vickers is a good teacher he wants everyone to start with his way. And learn his techniques. Unfortunately this class is 500 miles round trip for.

One thing I have to say I liked about vickers class, he told you how he'd do it and if you wanted to take his advice fine, if not fine. As long as you got hits on target he didn't seem to care much.

Feedback Score
    I guess my real question is, are prerequisites normal in training classes?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I guess my real question is, are prerequisites normal in training classes?

They are based on the level of the class. But at the level we are discussing, if you informed the instructor about the vickers class and the distance of travel / extra expenses and he still had an issue I would look elsewhere. His handgun 1 syllabus seems to be fairly basic and any good NRA pistol instructor could get you there. He should know that.

I know of a good number of instructors that force the first class to participate to level 2 but generally their class syllabus is more advanced or touches a lot on mindset and theory which they dont think you are going to get anywhere else and that carries into their level 2 classes. Most of the time the issue is forced between level 2 and level 3. If you have been with said teacher for three rounds of classes you dont want some random who is saying he can move and shoot etc. come to a class and slow everyone down.
    Last edited by themonk; 04-07-17 at 07:16.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Unless this guy is a name you really want to train with, look other places.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Unless this guy is a name you really want to train with, look other places.
    Not nationally recognized, far as I know. His website says he's a former SEAL.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Where are you located?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It seems we had this discussion as we formulated the schedule each year at my former workplace. We had prerequisites for some classes, often waived them, generally okay, but sometimes with bad outcomes.

If you are doing a more advanced class (assuming handgun 1 is more advanced than handgun 2) you don't want to be dealing with remedial shooters - it holds up the rest of the class, adding additional stress to the instructor and sometimes the students, as Monk noted above. As an instructor you should want everyone to start from the same sheet of music.

In terms of 'if you wanted to take his advice fine, if not fine' as an instructor my mindset was early on stolen from another group 'I'm not teaching THE way, I'm teaching A way.' This was a discussion I often had with a co-worker. My idea was if I'm teaching pistol I'm teaching one method - the method I feel is best. His idea was to teach a 'smorgasbord' of methods and allow the student to pick. That is fine if you are doing a month of training and can devote time to train to proficiency in each method, but that doesn't work well in reality.

The purpose of tiered classes is to give you a foundation to practice which prepares you for the next class. It sounds as if you have chosen Larry Vickers as your go-to pistol instructor. Why not practice what you learned in his operator's class in preparation for the advanced course?

This is from the Vickers Tactical website:

Carbine Basic: An entry level course for carbine shooters. This class is geared for those who have not had any formal instruction.

Carbine I – Introductory Level: For shooters who have had at least a basic carbine class either from Vickers Tactical or any other accredited instructor.

Carbine II – Intermediate Level Requirements are same as Carbine I. No waivers from any other instructors granted.

Carbine III – Advanced Level Requirements are Carbine I and II. No waivers from any other instructors granted.

I note that he doesn't list the same thing - 'no waivers from any other instructors granted' - for his pistol courses. Not sure if that is an oversight in the course listings, or what.

TL;DR - yes, I think it is fairly normal to have prerequisites.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-07-17 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    26inf, thank you for your response. This is all new uncharted territory to me so I'm trying to navigate it. I live in Montana and vickers has been the only instructor that I could find that comes anywhere close to a driving distance for me. That's why I'm taking another class from him, and this will only be my second formal class ever. I'd been trying to research local guysb around here too. But not knowing who they are, or what a good handgun class should consist of, I'm a little leary. I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck spent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast