Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Average price for 'smith to assemble an AR?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Don't know if you have started buying parts but it is hard to beat buying a completed upper from BCM and a BCM lower from Grant. BCM offers almost all barrel handguard combinations and Grant gives you the opportunity to select trigger and furniture upgrades.
    That's good advice. Im actually leaning towards this now.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    So there are at least 3 of us from N. Alabama. I drive past Last Resort everyday, but never stopped by. There is a gunshow at the at the "National Speleological Society" building (used to be the Cahaba). There are always builders there selling stuff, you can probably identify a decent smith there.

If you get an assembled upper, putting everything else together is pretty straight forward and rewarding.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-08-17 at 21:28. Reason: spelling - gun show was spelled gunshot

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    That's good advice. Im actually leaning towards this now.
    You won't regret it. A factory assembled BCM rifle will always be worth more than a frankengun if you ever decide to sell it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You won't regret it. A factory assembled BCM rifle will always be worth more than a frankengun if you ever decide to sell it.
    This is all true. I don't know why more places don't do what Grant does and let you pick different upgrades for the guns, I'm definitely glad he does it. But if you do have parts already, I've had minor work done by both ADCO and Rainier and preferred Rainier. It was cleaner and I believe they sent me tracking when the stuff was on the way, where as ADCO I never heard anything and one day while I was wondering about it, it just showed up at my door. Rainier swapped a normal buffer system to an A5 and restaked it. Adco switched a rail and muzzle device.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'll gladly do an upper assembly for FREE.99, you just pay the mailing back and forth. Lower assembly is on you though.

Feedback Score
    Don't know if you have started buying parts but it is hard to beat buying a completed upper from BCM and a BCM lower from Grant. BCM offers almost all barrel handguard combinations and Grant gives you the opportunity to select trigger and furniture upgrades.
    It seems like, even with their vast selection, that there is some tweak I want- or it isn't in stock.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    OP,
    What was the build (list?) you had in mind?

Feedback Score
    For someone who is mechanically inclined I would rate building an AR as a 3/10
    The price of the tools required is not overwhelming and with all the YouTube videos out there it isn't very difficult to DIY it.
    This gives you a good understanding on the function of every component.

Feedback Score
    Local shop here in Colorado Springs has a beach set up, $25 charge. The kicker is they walk you through you assembling your own AR while they closely supervise, using their bench, vise, tools and tips/tricks. If you buy all your parts from them assembly is free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Straight Shooter,

GH is spot on. I monkey around with these things because for me, it's just part of the hobby. However, no matter how nice I think my build is, it will never fetch as much as a used Colt or BCM in resale. I'm cool with that because my youngest is a LEO and a gun nut, so he'll end up with my guns. If you even think you want to get your money back out of your gun, then building is not the way to go in today's glutted market.
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast