Thread: Finally! Lucky Gunner tests .38 special and .357 magnum from 2 and 4 inch barrels!

Feedback Score

Finally! Lucky Gunner tests .38 special and .357 magnum from 2 and 4 inch barrels!

(Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules in posting this. Trying not to.)

Below is the link to the test results.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revo...llistics-test/

These are some tests I've wanted to see for a long time and I'm glad Lucky Gunner put up the time and money to do it!

I've always thought .357 magnum (full power loads and reduced) had something on .38 special when fired from a snub-nosed revolver and this test shows that.

Once you get a 9mm diameter 125 gr (or so) bullet up to 1000 fps or so it can perform well in ballistic gelatin and clothed ballistic gelatin based on bullet design no matter what the cartridge. A little more velocity will help it perform down range of course.

My long-held beliefs these tests confirmed for me:

-Remington's SJHP 125 gr and 158 gr are good performing bullets.

-The 158 gr SWC-LHP +p performs great in a 4-inch .38, less so in a 2-inch. It is not worth the extra recoil from something like a light weight J-frame.

-The 158 gr XTP is too slow from the .38.

-The 158 gr Gold Dot is for rifles

-The new 135 gr .357 magnum Critical Duty performs well from a 2-inch and 4-inch barrel

-You don't need to use full-power .357 magnum loads (with all the noise and fire) in a snub to get good performance. A mild .357 will you that 4-inch .38 special performance from the shorter tube.

What surprised me:

-The 125 gr XTP didn't expand from 2 or 4 inch barreled .38's.

-The Winchester bullets and Remington Gold Sabre's did pretty well in both calibers.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-07-17 at 22:08.