Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambi Safety: Which One??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Ambi Safety: Which One??

Like the title says, I'm looking for an ambi safety. After quite some time avoiding 1911s all together, I decided to get one again and really put some rounds through one. I came across a the Springfield/Lipseys exclusive 9mm "Combat Operator" (their name not mine) used for a good price, so I picked it up. I don't really plan on changing much but, as a lefty, I need the ambi safety. I have been leaning toward the wilson, but am wondering if the 'bulletproof' model is worth the extra money? I understand how it has been designed to work better, and resist the sloppiness that sometimes happens with traditional designs, but will I really see problems just going with the standard Wilson ambi safety? Any advice is welcome, as this is a new direction for me and I'm anxious to learn. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have both the BP and Standard Wilson ambi's on range guns.
    The BP design will no doubt hold up longer to dedicated left hand use.
    Being a "righty" and having infrequent practice/match strings "support hand only" (left for me), the standard ambi's are still going strong- but they do loosen up.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think there was one on the EE here for a good price, is that the one you got? I would've been all over that one if this states laws didn't make it such a pain in the ass. But to your question, I've never felt the standard Wilson safety but I'm assuming either one will need a little fitting. If you have to take the time to do that, you might as well spend a little extra on the one that's better. A BP safety was the first upgrade I did to my Colt and it lead to a whole lot of other BP parts in that gun. I'm pretty sure that LAV said it's the best ambi safety available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    I'm a lefty 1911 shooter and both my Springfield operator and Wilson xtac are wearing Wilson bulletproof ambi safeties. The Springfield has several thousand rounds through it with no signs of loosening up. The xtac is relatively new but I have complete faith in it. Ultimately yes the bulletproof ambi is worth it and going forward I will be using the Wilson safety in all my future 1911's.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    EGW also makes an outstanding ambidextrous safety that is strong and has pin support (like King and more expensive Wilson).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I liked the King's style ambi, dunno if they can still be purchased though. Kimber was using the design, they might sell them.

Feedback Score
    EGW Ambi Safety is available in stainless and blue:

http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/eg...m-barstock-ss/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnchair 04 View Post
    I'm a lefty 1911 shooter and both my Springfield operator and Wilson xtac are wearing Wilson bulletproof ambi safeties. The Springfield has several thousand rounds through it with no signs of loosening up. The xtac is relatively new but I have complete faith in it. Ultimately yes the bulletproof ambi is worth it and going forward I will be using the Wilson safety in all my future 1911's.
    Ditto, another lefty who uses the Wilson bulletproof ambi. More expensive than competitors but holds up to a lot of wear and tear.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm a lefty, and have found whichever ambi you use if during administrative handling of the pistol you use your right hand to reach over and apply the safety or when done firing to do the same thing it makes the ambi last a lot longer. It seems to take most of the pressure off the connection between the two sides. I now only use the right side lever to release the safety when drawing and firing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm not a lefty but I replaced the sloppy factory ambi safety on my Colt Rail Gun with a single-sided Wilson bulletproof model and couldn't be happier with the quality and the fit. I highly recommend the Wilson BP safety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast