Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambi Safety: Which One??

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Ambi Safety: Which One??

Like the title says, I'm looking for an ambi safety. After quite some time avoiding 1911s all together, I decided to get one again and really put some rounds through one. I came across a the Springfield/Lipseys exclusive 9mm "Combat Operator" (their name not mine) used for a good price, so I picked it up. I don't really plan on changing much but, as a lefty, I need the ambi safety. I have been leaning toward the wilson, but am wondering if the 'bulletproof' model is worth the extra money? I understand how it has been designed to work better, and resist the sloppiness that sometimes happens with traditional designs, but will I really see problems just going with the standard Wilson ambi safety? Any advice is welcome, as this is a new direction for me and I'm anxious to learn. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have both the BP and Standard Wilson ambi's on range guns.
    The BP design will no doubt hold up longer to dedicated left hand use.
    Being a "righty" and having infrequent practice/match strings "support hand only" (left for me), the standard ambi's are still going strong- but they do loosen up.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think there was one on the EE here for a good price, is that the one you got? I would've been all over that one if this states laws didn't make it such a pain in the ass. But to your question, I've never felt the standard Wilson safety but I'm assuming either one will need a little fitting. If you have to take the time to do that, you might as well spend a little extra on the one that's better. A BP safety was the first upgrade I did to my Colt and it lead to a whole lot of other BP parts in that gun. I'm pretty sure that LAV said it's the best ambi safety available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    I'm a lefty 1911 shooter and both my Springfield operator and Wilson xtac are wearing Wilson bulletproof ambi safeties. The Springfield has several thousand rounds through it with no signs of loosening up. The xtac is relatively new but I have complete faith in it. Ultimately yes the bulletproof ambi is worth it and going forward I will be using the Wilson safety in all my future 1911's.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    EGW also makes an outstanding ambidextrous safety that is strong and has pin support (like King and more expensive Wilson).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I liked the King's style ambi, dunno if they can still be purchased though. Kimber was using the design, they might sell them.

Feedback Score
    EGW Ambi Safety is available in stainless and blue:

http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/eg...m-barstock-ss/

Feedback Score
    For a lefty there are really only two worth considering: The Novak and EGW.

The Novak uses a hi-power-esque pinned on right side (left hand use) paddle. In the event of breakage the gun remains operable. This is the most durable setup I'm aware of. Unfortunately the left hand paddle has a sharp edge that either needs to be blended or worked around. In stock form I find it to be somewhat uncomfortable when riding the safety. Modified grips also not required.

The EGW above uses a socket type interface to mate to the main safety (left side of the gun, right hand use) and a hammer pin to capture it so it doesn't fall off the gun. Modified grips not required.

Every other ambi safety I'm aware of uses a slip joint setup that's fine for right handed shooters, but has a reputation for breakage when left handed shooters actually use them since in order to overcome the plunger all the force is put on that slip joint every time you engage or disengage the safety. Some of these also have a paddle on the left hand / right side piece that requires modified grips. The Wilson BP is the best of the slip joint designs since the mating surfaces are supported by the frame instead of hanging out in empty space.

EGW or Novak if you're a lefty. The paddles can be modified for comfort if needed.

Feedback Score
    I am a southpaw and agree; southpaw puts stress on ambidextrous safety that is different from wrong-sided shooter. (Wilson Combat does have a blue and stainless
    ambidextrous safety like EGW, but you have to pay for the stronger, reliable, and truly southpaw-friendly one.) Novak is outstanding, but I prefer EGW, and I am having an EGW
    ambidextrous safety fitted to my Colt 1911.

Right handed shooters: if you are unhappy with your current single side safety - feels mushy? - also consider EGW!
    Last edited by thegreyman; 05-22-17 at 18:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    nate89, this reply is a bit late to your original post date, but my 2 cents would be to go with the Wilson bullet proof or the EGW. I've installed many of the old school, cast, tongue in groove ambidextrous safeties over the years (most of them the standard Wilson parts). I have never broken one, but it is a known deficiency with that small mechanical advantage between the left and right paddles, coupled with a casting or a MIM part- IMO you're pretty much betting on when it will break not if it will break especially if you're a lefty and a hard use gun guy. I built a gun more recently and put in a forged/machined Wilson bulletproof that uses the longer tongue in groove intersection coupled with the extended hammer pin that serves as a down stop. Very nice part! After seeing greyman and jh9's posts regarding EGW's HD ambi, I like the look of the EGW part even more, but I've not installed, looked at one yet. That tongue in groove with a sleeve reinforcement as well as the right paddle captured by the down stop/hammer pin looks like a pretty tough part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast