Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stove Top Is In Flames! What Do You Do?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Stove top fires are usually grease related. Flour will put it out very quickly. So if you do not have an extinguisher grab a bag of flour and smother it.
    Noooooooo. That's a quick way to blow yourself up.

https://youtu.be/Z366WmYXyGE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TaterTot; 04-16-17 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TaterTot View Post
    Noooooooo. That's a quick way to blow yourself up.

https://youtu.be/Z366WmYXyGE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk
    This reinforces what I said earlier, anything applied with force will scatter the fire. Best option in that video would have been to put a lid on that pan. Make sure you have a proper fitting lid for your pots and pans.

Also, they should have turned that burner off first.
    Last edited by firefighter37; 04-16-17 at 17:55.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    Good thread. I think I have five extinguishers in the house. Three are "household" sized, the others "commercial" type like you might find in the hallway of a Hotel.

If one doesn't have extinguishers another option is grab a shovel and get dirt from the yard or from indoor/outdoor pots. (No grass or plants of course, rip them out)

If your not SURE you'll have the flames out easily, get the FD on the way, then kill the fire. If it's not working get everyone the hell out. (Pets!) Get vehicles out of the garage/away from the house too if you can.

Maybe I'm mr. Safety but I keep keys near doors and consider how to escape if the key is missing/breaks/door won't open etc. As it what objects will smash out glass nearby.

Consider guests, too. What if you had 15 people over and there is a fire? Can they easily get out?

I am not an expert and have only a small amount of training in the matter. But it's NOT a way I want to go out!
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-24-17 at 15:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Stove top fires are usually grease related. Flour will put it out very quickly. So if you do not have an extinguisher grab a bag of flour and smother it.
    It could smother it, but it will likely catch on fire itself. Flour is a fuel.

Salt, and baking soda are good to go as they do not burn.

Quick Lesson as I see some misinfo here:
    Fires need:
    1. heat
    2. fuel
    3 O2

Grease fire - Put a lid on it and remove from heat(starve it of 2 sources). It will go out within seconds. If it has spread anywhere else - you can fight that and wont splash grease out.
    Smoke itself usually does not kill people, its usually HCN or CO. HCN is typically from burning polymers (like Teflon/ptfe).
    Feeding a fire flour is a gamble - don't do it! A baking sheet or anything flat and metal or ceramic makes a good lid/smothering device.

HCN is produced is respectable quantities from burning polymers in carpet and furniture. It doesn't take much to kill you - don't breathe it - if you taste bitter almonds during or after a fire - TELL THE first responders so they can treat you. There has been a move to treat smoke inhalation victims for cyanide poisoning and it has shown to be effective.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-24-17 at 23:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    K extinguishers are the only ones that should be used in a kitchen grease fire.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12