Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Legit HIIT?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have started doing 30 seconds all-out on the rower (400+ watts using level 4 res. on the Concept 2), followed by 30 seconds of rest, repeat. I have managed only to do justice to about 10 minutes total time. I do this after my lifting workouts. is this effective/sufficient?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I have started doing 30 seconds all-out on the rower (400+ watts using level 4 res. on the Concept 2), followed by 30 seconds of rest, repeat. I have managed only to do justice to about 10 minutes total time. I do this after my lifting workouts. is this effective/sufficient?
    I'd say yes but I'd rather see HIIT being done on non lifting days.

I added a C2 rower to my home gym a couple weeks ago and those things are way more brutal than I would have ever thought.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post
    I'd say yes but I'd rather see HIIT being done on non lifting days.

I added a C2 rower to my home gym a couple weeks ago and those things are way more brutal than I would have ever thought.
    But I lift...every day.

I am hoenstly thinking about shelving Wendler 5/3/1 and doing something more oriented toward building endurance, say, benching 135x10, 145x10, 155x10, 165x10 (My max 10-rep is almost 225, I keep barely hitting 9 at that weight), then doing similar with dumbells on the incline bench, then burning out with push-ups after a recovery period. Similar on squats. I did 225x20 on backsquats the other day, and it's a different kind of tough vs. squatting 405 for 1. Honestly, and I know I'm not "strong", but I feel "strong enough", and want to shred down and build some insane endurance at this point. I am never going to get big. I only have 16" arms currently at 200# and 5'10.5". I'm just not a big guy, and that's all there is to it, so I kindof want to get shredded so I'm not just half-baked at EVERYTHING, and I find a joy in enhanced endurance and mobility, etc. when I was leaner.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Okay, I began 2 weeks ago running 5 miles every night after I wake up. Last week at the end of the week I was going to incorporate a 1mi open water lake swim, but the water was cold, my shirt bogged me down, recent rains put debris in the water, and I made it out 100 yards and then came back. It has since risen another 3 feet, and I am going to be a month or so before I do that again. So, it's back to running 5mi a day (weekdays only), and doing weight training before bed. I am doing 3 sets of 10 reps on 3-6 lifts, circuit training style. An example today:

225# x 10 back squat
    225# x 10 DL
    185# x 10 front squat

Repeat for 3 circuits.

Looking to lean down while maintaining power, muscle, and improve endurance .

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Okay, I began 2 weeks ago running 5 miles every night after I wake up. Last week at the end of the week I was going to incorporate a 1mi open water lake swim, but the water was cold, my shirt bogged me down, recent rains put debris in the water, and I made it out 100 yards and then came back. It has since risen another 3 feet, and I am going to be a month or so before I do that again. So, it's back to running 5mi a day (weekdays only), and doing weight training before bed. I am doing 3 sets of 10 reps on 3-6 lifts, circuit training style. An example today:

225# x 10 back squat
    225# x 10 DL
    185# x 10 front squat

Repeat for 3 circuits.

Looking to lean down while maintaining power, muscle, and improve endurance .
    Damn that's a lot of running. I maybe run 3-5 miles a week, tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Damn that's a lot of running. I maybe run 3-5 miles a week, tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm fat and need help bro. So I run my fluff away.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm fat and need help bro. So I run my fluff away.
    If you can run 5 miles per day and lift weights, you can't be all that fat. Two, nutrition controls that as much as anything. Three, that much running + weight lifting = OTS, injury, etc in your future. You must be young or you'd know that already
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    If you can run 5 miles per day and lift weights, you can't be all that fat. Two, nutrition controls that as much as anything. Three, that much running + weight lifting = OTS, injury, etc in your future. You must be young or you'd know that already
    I run 4 days a week, lift 5 days a week, rest 2 days a week. SO far, it's good. I thought you recommend LISS for me? That is what I'm doing. Running/jogging = LISS, no? I plan on mixing it up with open water swims when all the flooding and shitting up of my beautiful lake is done with. I am 31. That is on the cusp of young, I guess. Although to anyone older, it IS young, lol!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    @WS6

While I'm far from an expert, I have spent a fair bit of time on the Concept2 rowers and skiergs lately. I'll agree with Will, that if you're doing a 1 min. sprint, you're definitely going to be seeing your watts drop off at the end. It sounds like you've toyed around with the 30/30s a good bit. My go-to on the rower for 30/30s is follows:

Row 10 min. warm up.

3 Blocks:
    6x 30/30

Rest 3-4 minutes in between blocks.

Depending on how proficient you are on the rower, you can start the fist block at a 1:50, 1:45 or 1:40 pace and quicken pace by 5 seconds each block. Another good option is to start a little bit slower (1:45) and maintain the same pace throughout all 3 blocks, etc.

Another good rowing goal to train for is the 2k. Shoot for a sub-7min. That's a 1:45 pace for 7 min.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Alright, I give. I began doing LISS...I think? I now walk 1.5 miles on the treadmill 6 days a week, at 3mph. At a 15* incline. IT sucks, trust me. I didn't want to incur impact injury with all the running.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast