Thread: One zero for M855 and M193?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

One zero for M855 and M193?

The vast majority of the 5.56 I have stocked is either XM/M855 and XM/M193, I also have a scattering of commercial .223, both brass and steel case, almost all of it is 55 or 62 grains in weight. Can a sort of a "universal" zero that will yield acceptable accuracy at typical AR engagement distances with most loads be achieved (although I'm primarily interested in having one that will work for both M855 and M193), without requiring the iron sights and/or Aimpoint be adjusted accordingly for each type of ammo?
    If this is possible, which should be the "control" load that the actual zeroing is done with? My rifles are currently zeroed with M855, but I now actually have more M193.

Feedback Score
    What zero, 50yd? Both rounds will be within the vitals out to 300yd.

Edit: Here you go- great thread:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...M855-and-Mk262
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-09-17 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What zero, 50yd? Both rounds will be within the vitals out to 300yd?
    I'm still using the archaic 25yard zero due to bad eyes and the fact that the shooting area I currently have the easiest access to works better for that distance. However, I printed off some zeroing targets from a thread on this site set up to allow the shooter to get a 50 or 100 meter zero while using a 25 meter distance and when the snow melts I'm thinking I may do some re-zeroing.

If both M855 and M193 are going to be that close, I suppose I don't need to do anything special than. With my eyes, I can't imagine I'd be very effective with irons or a 1x optic at 300 yards, and the terrain around here doesn't really lend itself to longer shots anyway.

EDIT: that thread is interesting so far, thanks.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 04-09-17 at 22:35.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Any zero inside of 50 is crap. I'll sometimes zero a carbine radius at 50 just because my eyes don't do well with those irons at 100. If you can find a target that's visible at 100, and you turn your red dot down as low as you can still see it, you'll get a decent zero.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Both rounds will be within the vitals out to 300yd.
    This...

They're close enough that it doesn't matter.