Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo question

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ammo question

So I was reading the lab test done by LuckyGunner about the differences between brass vs steel ammo. The concluded that Federal ammunition produces significantly less wear on the barrels.

Would this be true for any brass-cased ammunition (i.e. American Eagle, PMC, etc.) or is this specific to Federal ammo? Do they do anything different in their manufacturing process?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    So I was reading the lab test done by LuckyGunner about the differences between brass vs steel ammo. The concluded that Federal ammunition produces significantly less wear on the barrels.

Would this be true for any brass-cased ammunition (i.e. American Eagle, PMC, etc.) or is this specific to Federal ammo? Do they do anything different in their manufacturing process?

Thanks!
    Don't put too much stock in that test. It was hardly a "lab" or scientific test. There are a bunch of differences between the ammunitions used besides the casing material. Different bullets, different powders, different primers, in addition to various types of casings. If I had to guess, I'd say the differences in barrel wear are more attributable to different bullets (bi-metal/steel vs. copper jacketed lead) and powder burn rates and heat/energy of combustion. Simply changing a powder can account for accelerated wear in two loads that are otherwise identical. I wouldn't worry about the differences in wear from one brass cased ammo to the next. American Eagle is made by Federal FYI. IIRC that "test" also used junky Bushmaster guns/barrels and they heated the barrels way past the point that they ever should have.
    Last edited by elephantrider; 04-09-17 at 21:48.

Feedback Score
    Jacket material will wear down rifling, flame temp will cause throat erosion.

Wolf/tula cheap steel crap has a mild steel jacket with copper overcoat.

The vast majority of other material is guilding metal, 95%Cu / 5%Zn. Some other stuff (fed fusion and Barnes tsx bullets) are solid copper or copper plated. No one has made a guilding metal plated round yet. If this is of interest, PM me.

I don't know about powders and flame temos, you'll have to rely on someone else for that.

At the end of the day, the money saved with wolf could save enought for a new barrel.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-09-17 at 21:47.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks, Lysander. I never saw this data.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    How would casing material affect the barrel?

Official Kremlin Transmission

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    How would casing material affect the barrel?

Official Kremlin Transmission
    Exactly! People keep repeating that without thinking.

BTW Geco ammo is also bimetal. I don't know about their 556 but the 9mm is

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have two carbines that are used for firing nothing but steel case Tula and Wolf ammunition. Barrels are replaced every 2 to 3 years. Steel case vs brass case training ammunition savings exceed $800 over the life of a barrel. Draw your own conclusions.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Steel case vs brass case training ammunition savings exceed $800 over the life of a barrel. Draw your own conclusions.
    What would you do with the brass cases?

Everytime I see an "economical" analysis like this, it assumes the brass goes in the trash. However, we all know that once-fired brass is valuable, whereas once-fired steel is just trash...

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I have two carbines that are used for firing nothing but steel case Tula and Wolf ammunition. Barrels are replaced every 2 to 3 years. Steel case vs brass case training ammunition savings exceed $800 over the life of a barrel. Draw your own conclusions.
    How much would you say you shoot in those 2-3 years before replacing the barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast