Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Armorer's Kit, what's needed?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reaction rod and high quality punches. Specifically roll pin punches would be high on my list.

I marked up my build a little by not having correct punches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First tool ordered, a The Magpul Armorer's Wrench. I need to put an A2 buffer on so I can mount my PRS stock, I was going to half-ass it with tools in the garage but decided to wait a couple days and try the right tool.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Other than personnel satisfaction building an upper makes NO economic sense unless you do it for a living. By uppers and build lowers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Other than personnel satisfaction building an upper makes NO economic sense unless you do it for a living. By uppers and build lowers.
    Money aside, I have seen some monster rifles in the build section that would outperform just about any mass produced rifle. That's kind of where I'd like to be in a year or so....

I'm retired so it would be more of a hobby, most of the fun hobbies are not cheap.
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm

Feedback Score
    You can install that with a 3/4" open ended wrench. Nothing special needed there.

Quote Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
    First tool ordered, a The Magpul Armorer's Wrench. I need to put an A2 buffer on so I can mount my PRS stock, I was going to half-ass it with tools in the garage but decided to wait a couple days and try the right tool.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    You can install that with a 3/4" open ended wrench. Nothing special needed there.
    A 19mm works as well. I know because I don't have a 3/4"!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    That was 80 bucks shot in the ass. If he hopes to build "monster rifles" he isn't going to put back on many gi barrel nuts. They come off easy with a 12" pipe wrench. I throw them in the trash. Any hand guard worth having comes with a proprietary nut and wrench. My go to castle nut wrench is the $15 KMR barrel nut wrench. My point is... Most multi tools are a waste of $$$. The MagPull wrench is one of them. I am a firm believer in having the right tool for the job but I am not going to run out and buy a Bridgeport mill and TIG welding machine to remove and install the occasional MD!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    This the one I have. I'd always thought Wheeler was a little sketchy but bought it because of the specialty bits. IMO, it totally blows away this Brownell's kit, which I also have: 080-110-804WB 44 Bit Professional Set w/ Magnetic Law Enforcement Handle at about 1/2 the price for the Wheeler. The Brownell's kit rides in the part box I take with me to the range, the Wheeler is on the bench.
    I was about to order a wheeler kit on Amazon but looking at the recent reviews and pictures of all the broken bits I'm on the fence about wheeler now.

A2 buffer Tube was what I meant to write, Aluminum Reciever Extension Tube + A2 Buffer + Spring

Feedback Score
    That's what I gathered. PRS stock kinda gave it away.

A2 buffer Tube was what I meant to write, Aluminum Reciever Extension Tube + A2 Buffer + Spring

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was about to order a wheeler kit on Amazon but looking at the recent reviews and pictures of all the broken bits I'm on the fence about wheeler now.
    As I said, you don't need them for an AR. The other observation I'd make is use your tools properly. There is a reason L-shaped hex keys don't all have 5 inch legs - you break stuff.

FWIW regarding the poster on Amazon who was complaining about the Browning and tight screws, if you are taking apart an older shotgun, rifle, pistol, etc, and the screw doesn't back out easily STOP. Put some KROIL or other penetrant on it and let it sit for a while. After being exposed to solvent, oil, etc. over an extended period the screws get 'varnished' in. The answer to a stuck screw is not a bigger screwdriver handle.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast