Thread: S&W 1911s. Good?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

S&W 1911s. Good?

It seems when people talk 1911s nobody ever talks about the S&W models.

Im looking at some in the store and I really like the way they feel in my hand. I like the way they look. The external extractor doesn't bother me and as long as it works I actually see it as a positive.

Are they unreliable?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    S&W 1911s have an overall good reputation as decent production line examples of the platform. They don't get the attention that other manufacturers do I'd argue because S&W isn't traditionally a 1911 company, and because they opted for an external extractor, which agitates purists. They are credited with figuring out and perfecting the external extractor for 1911s where other companies failed to, and it's now considered rock solid reliable in their version of it.

If one is speaking to you, get it; on the off chance it should have problems, S&W has a lifetime warranty for original owners of all their firearms made after '89, and will make problems right on their dime.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An old instructor of mine let me shoot his scandium 1911 years ago. It was light and shot great. I always wondered how the scandium frames held up.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    My Dad had a couple over the years and always enjoyed them. Never heard of any issues. He was a pretty prolific trader and never kept many guns for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I own an E series I bought maybe eight years ago. Has a firing pin safety, but the trigger and overall fit and finish are pretty decent. They use, or at least used, a proprietary sight dovetail, which is kinda lame. Mine has been a reliable shooter.

Feedback Score
    i have had a 1911 sc for quite a few thousand rds of ball ammo and never had any issues its as accurate as i need.the frame looks perfect no cracks and very little wear marks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The E-Series offers a lot of bang for buck. Night sights to start, milled slide to reduce glare, Beavertail grip, extended safety, front and rear checkered straps. My only gripe is the external extractor simply detracts from the overall appearance. Otherwise damn good guns and Smith and Wesson has you covered if any issues crop up.

I had a S/W Commander SC 1911 and loved how it carried. I made a mistake sending it to a pretty shitty gunsmith and ended up losing the frame on that gun.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    They are generally great production 1911. Just not as popular amongst the other more popular brands (Colt, Springfield). Now, if they were cheaper, it would make sense to pick this over the others. But, that's not the same. I personally would rather buy a Colt or Springer at the same price / specs. Mainly due to higher resell value due to higher level of interest in the resell market for those.

Feedback Score
    I have the S&W 1911CT E series .45 Auto with the crimson laser.
    18157974_1321081534637252_7292418492641932451_n.jpg
    Last edited by FirstBsure; 04-24-17 at 21:43.
    USMC RVN Vet. 0311,68/69.