Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt gun price/value sweet spot

Feedback Score

Bolt gun price/value sweet spot

Hello All,

I've decided that I want to pick up my first bolt gun. I intend to use it to improve my shooting and start working toward long range target shooting. I also want it as a SHTF hunting rifle (I don't hunt right now). Originally, I had decided that I'd start with an action and build up a 300 Win Mag precision rifle. But, I think that's exactly the wrong way to go about this.

I've decided that my first bold action will be a .308. I already have an AR-10A so being able to share the ammo appeals to me. My question is where on the price/value spectrum I should be looking.

These aren't actual prices, just a loose range:

Starting on the cheap end you have things like the Savage Axis, and the Mossberg Patriot -- $400 or so
    Moving up a step, I'd say the Ruger American, the synthetic Weatherby Vanguards, and Remington 783 $450 - 600
    Up one more, things like the Tikka T3X, and Browing A-bolt $600 - 700
    Then The Browning X-bolts, Bergara B-14, and Remington 700s $700 - 1000
    Finally the +$1000 rifles, the Remington Sendero, Kimbers and so on.

My problem is that you can always "spend a little more". If you're going to go cheap with an Axis, for $100 more you can get a 783. If you're getting a 783 for $150 more you can get a Tikka and so on.

My gut tells me the Tikka or the A-bolt is where the sweet spot might be. But, I'm drawn to that Bergara.

Where is the top of the value curve?

Thanks,

JRC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What is your goal for the rifle and be honest about how far you will actually shoot.

Are you a reloader?

How much do you have set aside for optics?

What's your budget for the rifle?

The Tikka series rifles are pretty nice and now you can get predict barrels for them to change at home. I would look at there new chassis model.

The Ruger precision rifle is also a nice gun for what it is and they shoot well.

The Bergera rifle that are built into a chassis are on a trued 700 action I believe.

IF you want to get into a custom then I know a shop that can get you into a nice build for about $2500.

I would look into the pros and cons of
    6.5 creedmoor

If your under 600 yards get the .223 and you can shoot for much cheaper.

If 1000 and beyond go with the 6.5 creedmoor.

Your decision will also depend if your a reloader or not.

Here is my custom I had built and the groups it usually puts out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just saw you want a hunting rifle so scrap most of what I typed lol.

Feedback Score
    I have a Kimber 7mm-08. I don't remember exactly how much it cost me. Maybe close to $1200. Ballistics are close to 308 with the recoil of a 223. It is just a little over 5 pounds with a scope.

I had a Sako Tikka which was very good in 308. Very tight at 100 yards. It cost only $700. Very smooth action. But it was heavier than my Kimber. I decided to get rid of it.

When you're trekking around the mountains, lighter is always better.

Almost all bolt action guns from Savage, Remington, Howa, Ruger, etc are going to be very accurate. It's a matter of the action, the weight of the rifle, and how it looks to you.

There will always be a lemon in anything less than a custom, too. Bedding the rails and getting a good mount are other pieces of the puzzle, on top of picking the highest quality ammo and choosing the proper scope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Oh, no. That was all good information. My ultimate goal is to get to a point where a really nice rifle like you built wouldn't be wasted in my hands

To be come a better shooter, I thought that a nice, accurate hunting rifle would serve me better than one of my ARs. I'd read that (especially if you don't reload) starting out with 308 or 30-06 would be much cheaper than jumping in to 6.5 or 300 Win Mag.
    The only time I'd use it to hunt would be if I was forced to by the food supply. So, maybe I'm putting too much stock into that. But, given that I've read that you can get a really accurate rifle for pretty cheap off the shelf, that seemed like the way to go.

Thank you very much for taking the time.

JRC

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    I just saw you want a hunting rifle so scrap most of what I typed lol.

Feedback Score

I've always been a big fan of Savage rifles and I've had great luck with them. Incredibly accurate for the money. I recently purchased as 10 fcp-sr in 6.5 creedmoor. They offer the same rifle in .308. Its available in 20" and 24" barrels. Comes with accutrigger and accustock, an over sized bolt handle, 10 rd detachable mag, fluted heavy barrel that is threaded (SR) and a one piece mount for around $600.

Last edited by cdclpc; 04-12-17 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I WAS a big savage bolt fan until I took a 5 day precision rifle course.

You read about all of the extraction problems with them and let me tell you they are real.

The course was 400 rounds and within 200 rounds my gun stopped ejecting.

I pulled the bolt out and found my ejector was broke in half. I put an upgraded kit in from NSS and it went down as well that week.

I read about it but thought to myself it must not be that bad but I saw first hand and sold that gun a few weeks later.

The way I approached my precision rifle was I wanted something that I could shoot close to one whole groups with and would get me past 1k. I also wanted something that was built solid and wouldn't shit the bed down the road. I had the weight planned out on mine and knew it wouldn't be light just by the parts I was going to use.

With that being said if I ever hunt it will be from a stand or from a static position so the weight really isn't an issue for me.

If it was a dedicated hunting gun I would go with a spotter weight barrel in a different caliber like 30.06 or something heavier. For a 90% target rifle used for steel and paper a heavy .308 or 6.5 CM gets my vote with a muzzle break.

Feedback Score

[QUOTE=Kenneth;2479498]I WAS a big savage bolt fan until I took a 5 day precision rifle course.

You read about all of the extraction problems with them and let me tell you they are real.

The course was 400 rounds and within 200 rounds my gun stopped ejecting.

I pulled the bolt out and found my ejector was broke in half. I put an upgraded kit in from NSS and it went down as well that week.

I read about it but thought to myself it must not be that bad but I saw first hand and sold that gun a few weeks later. QUOTE]

I don't doubt the issues that you had, but fortunately for me I've never experienced a single issue with the 5 rifles I have owned /currently own.

There are a lot of quality choices out there. I've been wanting to try a Bergara as well.

Last edited by cdclpc; 04-12-17 at 19:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been very pleased with both the Tikka CTR T3x and Bergara (both in 6.5 Creedmoor) I got last year. IF a threaded barrel is a must for you then the bergara as the mid priced tikkas will be straight contoured taper profile without threads in that price range.

To be honest, I really like the Tikka, but if you have any upgrade plans or accessories planned then the 700 based begara makes more sense. (tikka magazine situation is the big drawback) My bergara is in a XLR chassis, but if I had seen the B14 adjustable cheek stock last year that would have seriously tempted me to go that route. Both are great choices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

I've decided that I want to pick up my first bolt gun. I intend to use it to improve my shooting and start working toward long range target shooting. I also want it as a SHTF hunting rifle (I don't hunt right now). Originally, I had decided that I'd start with an action and build up a 300 Win Mag precision rifle. But, I think that's exactly the wrong way to go about this.

I've decided that my first bold action will be a .308. I already have an AR-10A so being able to share the ammo appeals to me. My question is where on the price/value spectrum I should be looking.

These aren't actual prices, just a loose range:

Starting on the cheap end you have things like the Savage Axis, and the Mossberg Patriot -- $400 or so
    Moving up a step, I'd say the Ruger American, the synthetic Weatherby Vanguards, and Remington 783 $450 - 600
    Up one more, things like the Tikka T3X, and Browing A-bolt $600 - 700
    Then The Browning X-bolts, Bergara B-14, and Remington 700s $700 - 1000
    Finally the +$1000 rifles, the Remington Sendero, Kimbers and so on.

My problem is that you can always "spend a little more". If you're going to go cheap with an Axis, for $100 more you can get a 783. If you're getting a 783 for $150 more you can get a Tikka and so on.

My gut tells me the Tikka or the A-bolt is where the sweet spot might be. But, I'm drawn to that Bergara.

Where is the top of the value curve?

Thanks,

JRC
    I have a browning x-bolt in 6.5 and a tikka t3 in 6.5 as well (re-barreled). The tikka is a nicer rifle. Between all of the rifles listed, I'd suggest the tikka for best price/performance. I'd also highly suggest just going 6.5 Creedmoor instead of sticking with 308. You'll spend the same amount of ammo, the ballistics are close enough at short range and 6.5 is better at longer ranges.

I still have ~500 rounds of Federal GMM in 308 that will forever sit in my closet. 308 is dead to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast