Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt gun price/value sweet spot

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I were a target shooter I'd get a 6.5 and reload. That said I have a Weatherby Vanguard .308 and love it dang thing with the synthetic stock I can beat the shart out of it in the woods, truck etc. Shoots PMC Bronze 147's right at 1 MOA which was a total shock I consider PMC adequate plinking ammo at best. It was the 2nd best as the Hornady SST 150 was #1. I don't know that I'd ever change from .308 for hunting b/c it's never let me down and at this point if that were oging to happen it would have already happened. I shoot 308 for less than most people shoot .223. If I ever go to bench/range focus I think it would be 6.5 though I was pretty shocked at the lack of recoil I can't imagine hammering a 308 as much as some of these guys at ranges shoot!
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 04-14-17 at 07:09.

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Based on what everyone has said, I've decided to go with a 6.5 creedmoor. I still don't know which rifle though

JRC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It comes down to what you will actually use the rifle for.

This is where you have to be honest with yourself and really think about it.

I knew going into my rifle build that 98% of the time I would be shooting paper or steel. Then IF I was able to take it hunting I would be shooting from a fixed position.

Maybe look at the Ruger RAP rifle or something along those lines. Shorter gun but with a heavier profile barrel and a light stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If your going to get a hunting rifle to kill meat, its a great choice. Weight matters. Pencil barrels can start stringing your shots after 3 rounds tho.

If your going to teach yourself how to shoot, which requires sending lots of bullets, then move towards a target style rifle for stand hunting.

If you think you may get addicted to shooting steel/killing paper, then a rem style action/med palma barrel will offer more in terms of upgrades. But be wary,you'll never get your money back out of it.

Tikka's are nice guns, but mags are expensive as stated above. A browning or RAP will shoot good also. I would handle a few to see which one you like the best.

6.5's are nice shooters...all day long, with no fatigue.

Feedback Score
    The Tikka T3 .308 is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

They have uniformly excellent barrels, great triggers and smooth actions. I have taken everything from ground squirrels to rabbits, to coyotes to elk with mine. It is the single most practical rifle I won by a long shot.

I popped this yote last weekend with a T3 .308:

and a 500 yard, high wind shot from a few years back:

I set a T3 lite .308 up for my daughter, and she has killed 2 elk and 1 deer with hers in the last couple years:

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score

The T3 .308s are usually absolute tack drivers too:

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Bolt gun price/value sweet spot

After putting way too much thought and time into buying a lightweight hunting bolt gun, I finally settled on a Howa. I have a different set of parameters, of course, but not too different. I already had two Rem 700s, an LTR in .223 and a 700P with the barrel chopped to 20". Both are way to heavy to hike with for more than a couple miles. I almost went with the Bergara 6.5CM for the reputation for accuracy. I like the action feel, and the factory trigger was great. I also really liked the Browning x-bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 6.5CM. The Tika and Kimber rifles in the same price range honestly didn't have the smooth yet stable bolt feel when cycling the action. All these are roughly a grand, except the Bergara being $700-ish. I also knew that I'd be chopping the barrel to 16" and threading the barrel, which meant another $165. So then my gunsmith talked to me about the Howa. Three position safety, two stage trigger, detachable mag, good reputation for accuracy out of the box, and easy for a 'smith to work on. I decided I didn't need the extra velocity of the 6.5CM and went with a mini action in 6.5 Grendel. I just picked the rifles up last Saturday, but I'm very happy with them. While I think you are on the right track for ~you~ with Creedmore, I think the balance of price/value for a Howa is right near the top. Of course I only have 45 rounds through one, and 25 through the other, so accuracy and performance haven't really been tested yet. But at around $500 for the rifle and $200 for the work.... it's tough to beat.

That target is only at fifty because I was just getting it on paper Sunday. But for rounds 21-25, during break in, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by sandsunsurf; 05-03-17 at 22:57.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12