Hello All,

I've decided that I want to pick up my first bolt gun. I intend to use it to improve my shooting and start working toward long range target shooting. I also want it as a SHTF hunting rifle (I don't hunt right now). Originally, I had decided that I'd start with an action and build up a 300 Win Mag precision rifle. But, I think that's exactly the wrong way to go about this.

I've decided that my first bold action will be a .308. I already have an AR-10A so being able to share the ammo appeals to me. My question is where on the price/value spectrum I should be looking.

These aren't actual prices, just a loose range:

Starting on the cheap end you have things like the Savage Axis, and the Mossberg Patriot -- $400 or so
Moving up a step, I'd say the Ruger American, the synthetic Weatherby Vanguards, and Remington 783 $450 - 600
Up one more, things like the Tikka T3X, and Browing A-bolt $600 - 700
Then The Browning X-bolts, Bergara B-14, and Remington 700s $700 - 1000
Finally the +$1000 rifles, the Remington Sendero, Kimbers and so on.

My problem is that you can always "spend a little more". If you're going to go cheap with an Axis, for $100 more you can get a 783. If you're getting a 783 for $150 more you can get a Tikka and so on.

My gut tells me the Tikka or the A-bolt is where the sweet spot might be. But, I'm drawn to that Bergara.

Where is the top of the value curve?

Thanks,

JRC