Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esbit pocket stove and Stanley Cook set

Feedback Score

Esbit pocket stove and Stanley Cook set

I bought the Esbit from REI for about 10 bucks I think and the Stanley was purchased at Walmart for 15. That's a pretty affordable combo I think. I thought it was really easy to use as well.

Last edited by bushcraftdave; 04-15-17 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    Cant beat an Esbit...have been using since 87-88, but on my third or fourth one now...eventually it just wears itself out. Next to my old canteen cup stove, this is all you need. LH

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Long_Hunter View Post
    Cant beat an Esbit...have been using since 87-88, but on my third or fourth one now...eventually it just wears itself out. Next to my old canteen cup stove, this is all you need. LH
    I'm with you 100%

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Your timing is great on this. My buddy and I were taking about motorcycle camping and lightweight camp cooksets. He likes his Jetboil, but $100 to get in at ground level for an awesome but proprietary cook system is a bit much for me. I was conviced I could do something simple for much less. I don't know how I got there, but a random youtube video showed people taking the Stanley cup and making a lightweight no frills mess kit with it. You can remove the coffee cups and stow a small propane cannister w/ small burner, plus have room for a spork, some soap, etc. Add a $5 cup ($12 if it is labled GSI) that the Stanley can nest in and you've got a nice little set up for $20 plus cost of fuel and stove. The Esbit alcohol burner is another option- $20 for the burner, and it is lighter and simpler than the propane stove. Add the Esbit fuel tabs and emergency stove and you have your bases covered for a simple, reliable (no moving parts!) cookset.

I haven't watched all of these videos but it gives you an idea of what is possible with some creativity and frugality.
    https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...dfndIb_VGZaC8j

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    Your timing is great on this. My buddy and I were taking about motorcycle camping and lightweight camp cooksets. He likes his Jetboil, but $100 to get in at ground level for an awesome but proprietary cook system is a bit much for me. I was conviced I could do something simple for much less. I don't know how I got there, but a random youtube video showed people taking the Stanley cup and making a lightweight no frills mess kit with it. You can remove the coffee cups and stow a small propane cannister w/ small burner, plus have room for a spork, some soap, etc. Add a $5 cup ($12 if it is labled GSI) that the Stanley can nest in and you've got a nice little set up for $20 plus cost of fuel and stove. The Esbit alcohol burner is another option- $20 for the burner, and it is lighter and simpler than the propane stove. Add the Esbit fuel tabs and emergency stove and you have your bases covered for a simple, reliable (no moving parts!) cookset.

I haven't watched all of these videos but it gives you an idea of what is possible with some creativity and frugality.
    https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...dfndIb_VGZaC8j
    I have a jet boil and I don't think it's worth it. Thanks for the post, lots of great information!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have an Esbit, and fuel in my bug out bag. However, I use a Whisperlite for backpacking/camping. I've had it for years, and it is time for a rebuild.

Feedback Score
    Having spent considerable amount of time in Ontario- you need to have something that doesn't use a specialty fuel source. No pellets or propane. Mainly something that uses wood- which can be found anywhere. I used to just use an iron grate but it was heavy for packing. I found this little stove that uses twigs. You might be able to find a similar design cheaper.

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-lite

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You can make the Esbit more efficient/wind resistant by making a couple of side panels to fit between the wings. I made mine out of an aluminum cookie sheet.

Or just screen the whole thing in externally, but that goes for any stove so long as it isn't choked off from oxygen.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 07-11-17 at 11:11.

Feedback Score
    Little trick, replace the Stanley plastic lid tabs with metal keyrings., won't melt, last forever.

Feedback Score
    Best $20 I've ever spent. I need to pick up more fuel tabs though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast