• DPMS

2 7.69%
  • Colt

1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Questions on lowers and uppers

Feedback Score

Question Questions on lowers and uppers

I am wondering if Spike out of Florida makes a good lower..and is Stag a decent upper 1 in 9 twist, 16" Lg...I have seen every one talking about LMT as Good Lowers..But These are around my area...Some reviews on these would be nice..
    '

Feedback Score
    Welcome to the forum. Do you mean a stripped or assembled lower?

Stripped, you might as well go Spikes, or Anvil Arms. Just sayin'.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    I voted for spikes. I was able to get a complete one thru my local FFL/Gunsmith for a good price. I used it on my KISS carbine. (16" A2 BM upper)

If I was to buy a new lower to build another primary SHTF carbine I would go with the LMT.

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Do you mean a stripped or assembled lower?

Stripped, you might as well go Spikes, or Anvil Arms. Just sayin'.

-B
    Thanks for the welcome!...Yeah I just sighned up yesterday....Yes I will purchase a stripped Lower...So basically the quality is there with a Spikes...This
    is going to be my first build...Any recommendations on Trigger assy, Hammer and springs to purchase to fill the lower? Also Do you or any one else reading this have any discomforts about Stag
    Uppers
    Last edited by Galliente; 09-24-08 at 21:35. Reason: Forgot to add a question

Feedback Score
    To clarify: it's not necessarily that Spikes receivers are "up there" as much is they, like the majority of folks, have them correctly spec'd out. They're good folks, for sure, and I know their lowers work fine with Pmags (played with 'em at the last couple gun shows). Anvil Arms I can similarly vouch for. Neither company I've heard complaints about.

Grant sells LMT lowers, but they've gotta be assembled I think and I haven't seen them anywhere sold just plain stripped. Same with Colt (and you'll get screwed trying to buy a stripped Colt lower receiver). On your list, that leaves Spikes or DPMS. Not fond of DPMS, since they have a tendency of being out of spec more often than other companies. My own (limited) experience with DPMS stripped lowers is that they have a nice finish, ugly roll mark, and the two I played with had slightly out-of-spec takedown pin holes. 2-item sample size is small, but hey, it's what I got.

-B

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    To clarify: it's not necessarily that Spikes receivers are "up there" as much is they, like the majority of folks, have them correctly spec'd out. They're good folks, for sure, and I know their lowers work fine with Pmags (played with 'em at the last couple gun shows). Anvil Arms I can similarly vouch for. Neither company I've heard complaints about.

Grant sells LMT lowers, but they've gotta be assembled I think and I haven't seen them anywhere sold just plain stripped. Same with Colt (and you'll get screwed trying to buy a stripped Colt lower receiver). On your list, that leaves Spikes or DPMS. Not fond of DPMS, since they have a tendency of being out of spec more often than other companies. My own (limited) experience with DPMS stripped lowers is that they have a nice finish, ugly roll mark, and the two I played with had slightly out-of-spec takedown pin holes. 2-item sample size is small, but hey, it's what I got.

-B
    Stripped LMT
    http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.c...at=LMT%20Lower
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...product_id=123
    http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/i...4ff6bf06239a69

Feedback Score
    I stand corrected.

-B

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Woo Hoo! I'm first to vote for Colt!

(although I've only seen like 2 strippd Colt lowers in my life )
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)