Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: DI or Piston?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Ruger's SR556TD has a listed weight of 7.1 pounds. There are plenty of DI guns with a similar weight.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    The Sig MCX is listed at 6.9lbs for the 16" patrol, 6.4lbs for the 11.5" SBR, or 6lbs for the 9" SBR.

It's definitely heavier than even my 12" DI SBR which is right at 6lbs, with no specific lightweight components. But that said, modern piston guns can be made reasonable light weight.

Feedback Score
    Here is a review the military arms channel put together years back with the MR556A1- which is as close to what is currently available for a military issued 416. Thing is, it's not all that impressive- at least from this one example.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 05-30-17 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    I'm not opposed to the idea of an external piston for operation at all. What I have concerns with is the addition of an external piston for the base AR as we know it now. We have limits within these confines, and I am concerned about the compromises.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    USASOC and practically everyone in SOCOM is staying DI. No matter what anyone feels obviously USASOC sees no reason to move from stoners system.

Also the fact that they are willing to move to a mid length gas system means they are not doing it solely for compatibility with current systems as what they Invision practically requires an entirely new upper.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
    Looking to build an AR for myself, can't decide if I want direct impingement or piston. Piston runs cleaner and cooler and (I've heard) can generally take more abuse and less lube before it begins to fail, and if there are minimal reductions in accuracy and a tiny bit more felt recoil, I don't really mind. But, I've heard there are certain mechanical issues associated with piston AR's. I wanted to know what they are, and if there's anything that can be done to fix them in a custom build. I've also heard availability and interchangeability of parts is another factor. Are the advantages of the GP system worth the trade-offs?
    If you have a range near you that has both types for people to rent I'd recommend trying both and find out which you prefer the feel of and then weigh the pros and cons as well as just how likely you are to put your AR through the kind of mistreatment that the piston system is designed to help mitigate the effects of on your rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617