Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA 2.5x or Holosun 406A

Feedback Score

PA 2.5x or Holosun 406A

Lookin at buyin a budget optic too mess around with, any advice between these two? Looking too practice acquiring targets faster and using both eyes and for under $200 to practice with they seem like good options. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Remington M700p .308
    • Colt M4 Carbine .556
    • Henry Big Boy .45 Colt
    • M&P Shield9

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are looking for a red dot in that price point I would consider the Primary Arms Advanced micro dot. It's $169

T

Feedback Score
    Either or really, I think the magnification might be better for me with astigmatism in my shooting eye, found a lot of good reviews on the PA but nothing on the holosun. I'll be sure too check out the micro dot.

• Remington M700p .308
    • Colt M4 Carbine .556
    • Henry Big Boy .45 Colt
    • M&P Shield9

Feedback Score
    I just bought a Primary Arms 2.5X ACSS scope. I haven't shot with it yet, only mounted it on the SBR.

I was looking at the Holosun also but I wanted magnification for longer range targets.

Just looking at it inside the house, the 2.5X isn't bad, so I think that I made a good decision.

The Primary Arms scope has clear glass, looks like it should cost more. I like the ACSS reticle, the CQB version in this scope to me seams intuitive and it is easy to use.

Mine you, I haven't shot with it yet, but it seems really well though out. The reticle is alot smaller than I thought it would be. The center dot and BDC dots under it are very small.

As I understand it, the smaller inner horseshoe is for fast hits out to 100 yards, the center dot for precision shots.

The larger horseshoe is for close in CQB.

I can't wait to get it out to the range and get it zeroed and do some shooting with it!

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I like the recticle of the PA everyone says they are awesome and have good quality. But I've also heard a few people that like the holosun red dots. Anyone got any thing on holosun products?

• Remington M700p .308
    • Colt M4 Carbine .556
    • Henry Big Boy .45 Colt
    • M&P Shield9

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    99% sure that Holosun makes the Primary Arms red dots which get good reviews for the money. But if you have an astigmatism you may have problems with a red dot. You may consider a 1-4 or 6 variable. Primary Arms makes them too

T

Feedback Score
    Well thanks I'll check them out too buddy

• Remington M700p .308
    • Colt M4 Carbine .556
    • Henry Big Boy .45 Colt
    • M&P Shield9

Feedback Score
    The Primary Arms 2.5X is a prismic scope with with an etched reticle. It doesn't need batteries for it to work (well to light up the reticle it does, but you know what I mean).

It's like a budget ACOG, that doesn't have Trillium.

I went with it because I have the 1-6X ACSS reticle scope and have been very happy with it.

I have not zeroed the 2.5X yet, but I expect no problem with it as was the case with the veritable power scope.

The glass is very clear on both, not ACOG quality but it's d@mn good. They look better than the price would indicate.

My one and only complaint is they are on the heavy side. The 2.5X is just under a pound. The 1-6X is 18oz without mount. The Gen III is shorter and lighter but still on the heavy side.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The 2.5 x is a great optic as is the Advanced Series micro dot. Depends on how you intend to use your gun. If you want a close ranger fast handling carbine get the dot. If you want a multipurpose carbine that is slower up close but has more to offer further out then get the 2.5x Own both.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    How bad is your astigmatism? Red dots are workable with astigmatism depending on how you perceive the dot. If it is not too misshapen you can clean it up by looking through a cowitnessed peep sight for longer shots and dealing with whatever shape it is close in. For me, I see it as a long vertical line and it is just not workable. A lot of people turn to 1-4 or 1-6 variables, but I found a different route I like better. I run the gun with iron sights only most of the time and use a PA 3x optic on an ADM quick detach when I think I might need magnification. Outdoors, fixed 3x is a good sweet spot for speed and shooting up to 300 yards. At house distances, I'm just as fast with irons because I can see the front post clearly. Consider a tritium front post and CSAT rear aperature. I've also found that effective iron sight use requires a nose to charging handle stock position to get the most out of it.
    Most of the quality low power variables are 1-6x, and I don't think a lot of people are realistic about the distances they really will be shooting at. Good variables add almost 2lbs to a carbine. With my setup my carbine is super light in home defense mode, and I add a little over 16 oz for magnification and the optic is more compact than a variable. Something to think about. I like it enough that I plan on replacing the PA 3x with a TA33 Acog when funds allow, but the PA is good enough that I'm not in a huge hurry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast